Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

Newbie with questions '95 900ZXI

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Newbie with questions '95 900ZXI

Just got my new toy. '95 900 ZXI look s& runs like new.
I'd like to check some info from the Prev Owner ... is he pullin' my chain???
He did a compression check right before my eyes... all 3 were 96 psi... but I don't think he opened the throttle for these checks. He said the level wasn't so important, but that all were equal was good.
He only ran premium, or non-oxy fuel, with only synthetic oil for the mix. Is this really that important on an old machine (Looks & runs like new!)
Gave me spare parts... complete pump housing with usable impeller (just wasn't quite good enough for him so he put a new assembly on it. also gave me a new Skat-trak 16-23 impeller that he was going to put in the old housing before he got the new pump. What pitch is really correct for the 900ZXI? I've heard that some brands have replaceable wear sleeves in the pump, but not Kawi's. Impeller doesn't seem to run all that close to the housing wall... how does it wear at all?
I'm thinking of getting a companion machine of similar mid-90's vintage. Is Kawasaki the right brand, or is Polaris, or SeaDoo better? (What a question for a Kawa Forum audience!!!!)
Thanks for any comments you can offer to an old guy trying to stay young.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Not sure on what the compression needs to be, but being uniform is helpful. However getting all 3 to be exactly the same is difficult, are you sure he zeroed the gauge between checks? If he was a good magician he do the strongest cylinder first and then do the others without resetting so they look good, I'd suggest checking yourself, or hooking it to a hose and running it to ensure it works. You dont need to touch the throttlefor the comp check, so thats not an issue. Premium fuel is important on high performance engines, synthetic oil is not so important, however it is important to stick with that the motor is used to. If you switch between syn and conventional oils you could damage the seals.

Since I'm not a ski guy I cant help you withthe rest but I can say that Jetskier's get a bad rep (like us riders) for being irresponsible, unintelligent, and disregarding rules such as no wake zones. Always try to improve the image, and have fun brotha!