General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

won't idle when cold

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Unhappy won't idle when cold

i have been taken for a ride by two shade tree mechanics that can't seem to make my 1998 kawasaki ninja 500 idle properly when engine is cold. they say they cleaned my carbs, and maybe they have but bike still wont idle correctly. another shop mechanic say that i should have idle screw pull and clean out, he says no matter what is put in the gas tank, bike will not idle without this being done, what should i do. tired of paying out money and problem still exist.

Last edited by vadrifter; 05-06-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

VAD, do these guys have bikes of their own which actually run? You can bet they didn't work on them.
Does the bike idle "properly" when it's warm? (AFTER you keep blipping the throttle for 8-10 minutes, can you actually take your hand off of it?)
It's YOUR bike; you need to learn to fix it. (seriously.)
First, make sure the gas is fresh. Old stuff will pop and crackle and sound ignorant.
Next, if you're sure the throttle adjustment is right (the cable going to the right handgrip,) get a manual which clearly identifies the various screws and tidbits on your carburetor(s). Look for the idle adjustment screw. Once you get these OUT of adjustment (by you or someone else) they're a bitch to get right again, so remember exactly how many turns you're turning, and in which direction. You may even want to write it down. With the bike idling (yes, one hand gently coaxing the bike to keep running,) turn the screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time in one direction. Multiple carbs mean multiple fun. Listen for the change in the idle. If the bike stalls, go the other direction.

If the bike is still running (before you do this operation) it shouldn't take too much to get it to idle "properly." Unless the idle screw is all crapped-up inside, this should fix it. If it doesn't, screw it all the way in (COUNT the turns in so you have a reference point) unscrew the idle screw (COUNT the turns all the way out), clean, and re-install. Then get it back to the reference point (i.e. all the way in, then 2.5 turns out) and start adjusting.
Don't pay someone else to miss a learning opportunity. You can do this.
Let us know how it works. We're not going anywhere.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Oh; my bad. Welcome to the forums!!
Gear up; stay safe.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

indeed welcome to KF. Your manual will specify the pilot screw adjustment turns along with everything else. I have the 94-07 ex500 manual so do not know if they are the same as yours. Check out the manuals in General Discussion as well.