General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

what is my bennifit to having a Steering Damper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Default what is my bennifit to having a Steering Damper?

Like it says. Can someone answer this for me?

Old 12-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: what is my bennifit to having a Steering Damper?

Drummerboy, from what I have sen and read so far it all depends on what you are doing. If you are doing lots of tricks it helps keep the wheel straight. If you have lots of tourge and the front tire comes off of the ground you want it straigth when it touches again. The steering dampner will help with this as it makes the wheele harder to turn left and right. Anyone please correct me if i am wrong.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

What BigO said. The part about the wheel harder to turn depends on if you are turning easy or jerk it. If you turn hard, the damper is going to do it's job. At high speeds is will eliminate possible head shake. I also had my front end sort of wash out up in the mountains once. Front end slid on some sand and then it caught dry road and started to tankslap. Damper stopped it immediately.

If you get one, make sure it is adjustable, like a Scott's. It mounts to the upper triple clamp. Has various settings that you can set on the fly. Very handy.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

also helps keep the front end stable at high speeds, sucks some of the bobble out of riding on freeways and roads that have rain grooves and messed up grading. helps alot on the twisties too. thats why i like the hyperpro active one, the harder you ride the more it dampens on its own. my ohlins was great, but you had to adjust it going from the freeway to the twisties.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

So what do you all recommend for the best bang for the buck?

Sorry Drummerboy don't mean to hijack the thread.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Better control on hard acceleration, especially off the corner. Pretty much what everyone else said to.
I think all bikes should have come from the factory with one, important part of safety gear as far as I am concerned.

Evil that avatar is just wrong euw!

Old 12-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock

Better control on hard acceleration, especially off the corner. Pretty much what everyone else said to.
I think all bikes should have come from the factory with one, important part of safety gear as far as I am concerned.

dude, where you been ? did you go gay while you were off line ? haa haa. that advatar pic is perfect.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:24 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, not sure on how to get this across.
To me a damper is a band aide. Depending on how you ride with your bikes geometry/setup means alot and stay within your comfort levels. Every setup and comfort level is different with a persons intent for that ride.
All I know is with my zx7 on the track, the only wobbles/twitches were coming from setup and out of one corner only. The 10 twitches going from spinning the rear in 3rd gear going into 4th in hard acceleration so far. Guess what I am saying is stay loose on the controls and learn your ride.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:28 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Sorry, if you cannot see the examples mentioned, you may want a damper.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: evil636

ORIGINAL: Notstock

dude, where you been ? did you go gay while you were off line ? haa haa. that advatar pic is perfect.
Never my virginity is still intact

Quick Reply: what is my bennifit to having a Steering Damper?