General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Weird Idle after oil change, engine dies, low power delivery (1993 EX500)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Default Weird Idle after oil change, engine dies, low power delivery (1993 EX500)

Bike: 1993 EX500
Miles: 22,000
Oil Used: Shell Rotella T Non-Synthetic "Heavy Duty" 15W-40
Filter Used: WalMart SuperTech ST7317

Ran fine before the change.

So in accordance with my threading issues here: http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,3482.0.html

I changed my oil following a guide often posted on forums for the EX500. Except I did forget to warm the oil first.

I pulled the plug and let the oil drain, and finally worked off the oil filter by hand maybe 10 minutes later. Let that drain as well.

I then re-installed the bolt/plug. The top is stripped so it is hand tight, and then I used a wrench to tighten it as much as I could without fully stripping it.

I then poured some oil into the new filter, and rubbed it around the top. Next I installed the filter.

I then opened the cap near the oil viewer and dumped apprx. 92% of 3.75L in. Until, as I held the bike up "straight" (no center stand) the oil met the tops of the lines where it is supposed to. Started it up at that point, it seemed to run fine. Let it run for 4 minutes.

Came back an hour later and started it up and that is when I noticed the funny idle. Almost a knocking/grinding rhythmic sound. It seemed to be smoothing out so I took it for a quick spin, after 5 minutes of warming up, to the gas station. On the way there I noticed it seemed to not have as much power as it did before the oil change. Filled up with 93 octane. On the way home it really suffered some power loss and eventually died. Thankfully the trip is very short and I was in the parking lot of the complex by that time.

Now, earlier in the day I had been looking around and pulled the gas tank off. Not off its hoses but simply off the screws and up to see what was underneath. It took me a second to figure out how to get it back on but then I had it all hooked back up. I don't know if this could be the issue? I started it after I got it back together and it seemed to run fine. Nothing I noticed anyway at the time.

Any help would be awesome as I have no clue what the issue is. The oil level seems to be a tad under what it should be considering it was higher earlier, but it is still at least half -way+ up the viewer standing straight up.

Thanks...

-Robert

EDIT: As an update, I dont know if this is because it died on me or not but it will not start. It turns over fine and almost started and I can smell gas.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Default RE: Weird Idle after oil change, engine dies, low power delivery (1993 EX500)

Third update:

So somehow my gas tank got turned to the OFF position (wtfomg)....and was run that way until I assume I depleted any and all traces of gas in the lines...So I assume I need to get gas in there somehow....not sure how simply turn it on (gas tank) and do a running start?

Old 08-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Weird Idle after oil change, engine dies, low power delivery (1993 EX500)

Just my opinion FWW, 15-40 seems a little thick, especially being dino oil (non-synthetic.)
I'd also suggest using a Wix cross-reference for your Wal Mart filter.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:12 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Just my opinion FWW, 15-40 seems a little thick, especially being dino oil (non-synthetic.)
I'd also suggest using a Wix cross-reference for your Wal Mart filter.
I run 20/50 in the 7 from 60-100 degree ambient day temps.

Third update:

So somehow my gas tank got turned to the OFF position (wtfomg)....and was run that way until I assume I depleted any and all traces of gas in the lines...So I assume I need to get gas in there somehow....not sure how simply turn it on (gas tank) and do a running start?
haha, that is funny. Just turn it on, maybe 3-4 cranks and you should be up running.