General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Delivery problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:31 AM
Default Oil Delivery problem

Hi Guys
I posted about this in the ZX6 section but I'm now thinking it might be more appropriate here but I don't want to double post so if anybody could help me out and take a look at my post that would be great.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_240521/tm.htm

In a nutshell I changed the oil and now the oil light is on. Details about steps I took during the oil change and steps I have already taken to trouble shoot are in the post linked above.

If someone could throw some pointers my way that would be great.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Oil Delivery problem

Did you do a search? Because we have seen this one a few times. If I remember some of the lights went out after the bikes ran a little. Others disconnected the battery and let everything reset.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 AM

Yes I searched. Found a few of them Mostly it was oil filters not having been primed which I did. Others said they just reved the engine which I did. The last thing I found was where someone had suggested loosening the oil filter while the bike was ideling which I just tried. As soon as the filter lost contact oil came oozing out all around the entire filter like it was being forced out but with only minor pressure but it at least looked like there was pressure behind it.

At this point I think I have tried everything I have found in my searches and still nothing.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:50 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Didn't you mention that the light went out in the 6 section? I am still curious on an oil pump pressure. A plugged screen or a pump issue like you mentioned. I know, no answers.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:57 AM

The only time the oil light has gone out was when I disconnected the lead to the sender unit to check for proper function of the light and sender unit.

I'm not sure at this point what it could be either. I'm hoping it's not a pickup. Because the pan does not look like it's fun or easy to drop. The engine has not gotten much louder yet then it was before the oil change. Valve noise yes but not really loud just sounds like it needs a valve adjustment so I think it is gettin some oil up there just not enough.

I'm gonna let it sit for a while I'm starting back to work tomorrow so I'm not sure if I'll have time to mess with it till this weekend.

How loud to the valves get if they are starving for oil? Any good signs that no oil is being delivered?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

After checking the oil pressure, then if it is within specs, curious to see if the sensor is bad.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

After checking the oil pressure, then if it is within specs, curious to see if the sensor is bad.
I don't have a manual gauge to check the pressure. I might be able to pick on up if they have on at HF Tools. Do you know what spec is on these?

I pulled the sender unit and applied slight pressure with an air nosel while checking it with an ohm meter and it would break the connection as soon as I applied pressure. So I think the switch is working although I'm not sure if it's with in spec since I don't know what spec is.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Sound like the switch is good. It may take some time but I don't recommend revving the bike. It pts unnecessary load on the bearings just incase the oil isn't there. You may have the oil sender wire pinched & shortedsomewhere on the bottom of the engine or it may be touching the exhaust. I think that you do have oil pressure if oil is coming out of the filter. Follow the wire from the sender and inspect the wire for grounding.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:12 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Do you know what spec is on these?
22-33psig range at least for the 10r

True on the possibility of a short or bad wire. Did you ohm out the wires from the sender?

Old 01-03-2008, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

if there is more engine noise though wouldnt it still be mechanical

Quick Reply: Oil Delivery problem