General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Too big of a job?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:02 AM
Default Too big of a job?

I recently bought an 87 ninja 750r and the flywheel ( if thats the part the starter drive goes into) is missing a few teeth so it makes nasty sounds when i start it and sometimes the starter wont even catch. Is this a big job to change out, how many hours of work am i looking at? Hopefully someone has done this before and can offer some insight, it seems to be getting worse slowly.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Too big of a job?

Congrats on the 750R..... I haven't done it myself but I remember a post about a similar thing a while back... If no one knows, then I'll see if I can find it for ya..

If I remember right it was a 3-4 hour project. Needed a flywheel puller, but somebody talked about making their own for a coupla bucks... Might double check your starter gear also.. if the flywheel is bad, it might have ground down the starter gear also, and you don't want too mess up the new fly...

Old 04-27-2006, 04:21 AM

Ya when i got it the guy said it needed a starter gear, and by the sound i figured he was right, so i bought a starter and installed it. I noticed when i took the old starter out that it was ground down pretty bad so i looked inside at the flywheel and spun it with my fingers. Thats when i saw the missing teeth. I figured since i really wanted to ride and it had 90% teeth that the new starter would make up for it. Not as true as i had hoped. But im definately willing to take the bike apart and change the flywheel as long as its not extremely difficult. Ive never worked on bikes but im descent on a car. Not sure how much a mechanic would charge to do this for me but im pretty sure its not gonna be cheap.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

If you are mechanically inclined, it shouldn't be too bad. You are going to need a manual, I believe you are going to need the timing specs when you put her back together. mechanic is going to charge flat rate with what ever the labor guide says. I bet it's around 6-7 hours at $65 an hour + ... a manual is $25.00....

I'll see if I can find that previous post for ya....

Old 04-27-2006, 04:40 AM

Thats would be awesome. I think ill tackle it myself. Now if i can only find a place that carries the part. Does it go by another name on a motorcycle?

Old 04-27-2006, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_02...0&parent=13460

Not sure if this is your exact bike so smurf around and find your bike.

Take some pics and post a do it yourself in the DIY section.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:02 AM

Ya, thats the bike. I found that once earlier but couldnt figure out if its the idle gear im replacing. It doesnt really show where its going but that is the part right? The idle gear is what the starter motor turns?

Old 04-27-2006, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

I am not sure to be honest, you can always order it from the stealership and you should get the right part.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:14 AM

I cant seem to find this in the manual. To get to the "starter idle gear" do i need to remove the clutch? It looks like the most direct way and im hoping it is since im in the middle of teardown. (need a special tool to go any further, like usual)

Old 04-28-2006, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

I do not know sorry but I would like too, let us know

Quick Reply: Too big of a job?