General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

synchronizing carbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:23 PM
KIA
Default RE: synchronizing carbs

well i'm glad i only have 2cylinders and i can scrounge up a vacum guage no problem so i'll give it a try this weekend thans for the tips guys

Old 07-17-2007, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mmi86
they also have a new Digital sync gauges and the box is only a little bit bigger than a blackberry, they only bad part is you have to cut off your arm to pay for it
you can make your own digital version for cheap if you don't mind scrounging for parts. you can go to a "u-pull-it" yard and get the map sensor out of GM FWD cars (get one per carb) - then a cheap digital voltmeter for about $5 each.

you can wire up the map sensors and leave them in the bike somewhere hidden and out of the way and just leave wires to each sensor at a connector under the rear seat. with 5 volts going to the sensors they will have an output voltage relative to the vacuum and you can read the voltage output on the multimeters.

total cost about 30$

there is even a refference chart for how many inches of mercury each voltage reading indicates.

(DISCLAMER) i've never done this on a bike. I'm new to bikes, but i've been a gear head for a long time and sold my 400whp mid engine 2 seater to get the wife to let me get a bike.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Kohburn = mcguyver

Old 07-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Kohburn

they also have a new Digital sync gauges and the box is only a little bit bigger than a blackberry, they only bad part is you have to cut off your arm to pay for it
you can make your own digital version for cheap if you don't mind scrounging for parts. you can go to a "u-pull-it" yard and get the map sensor out of GM FWD cars (get one per carb) - then a cheap digital voltmeter for about $5 each.

you can wire up the map sensors and leave them in the bike somewhere hidden and out of the way and just leave wires to each sensor at a connector under the rear seat. with 5 volts going to the sensors they will have an output voltage relative to the vacuum and you can read the voltage output on the multimeters.

total cost about 30$

there is even a refference chart for how many inches of mercury each voltage reading indicates.

(DISCLAMER) i've never done this on a bike. I'm new to bikes, but i've been a gear head for a long time and sold my 400whp mid engine 2 seater to get the wife to let me get a bike.
shows intelligence!

Old 07-18-2007, 01:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

total cost about 30$

What is the tolerance using this method? Sounds good

Old 07-18-2007, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

the tolerance is pretty darn good if you go the extra step of putting a very fine trim pot (potentiometer) inline on each sensor. then use a couple T fittings and feed all 4 from the same source. then adjust the trim pots untill the millivolt reading from each is the same. From there the range of the reading is :

if you use a manual hand vacuum pump with a gauge on it like you would get at autozone then you can find out the exact voltage to 1/1000 of a volt for a particular vacuum setting.
once its setup its really quite accurate.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zzrick

Kohburn = mcguyver
lol - thats actually a nickname of mine - you should have seen me on the side of the road at 1am int he middle of nowhere virginia cutting the side out of a dumpster with a pair of tin snips, using a hatchet and a screw driver to pound holes in it and bend it to shape to hold the two halves of my broken (snapped in half) clutch bracket together so i could finish my 7 hour drive home from college.

yeah i've got it still as a suvenier

Old 07-18-2007, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zzrick

Kohburn = mcguyver
lol - thats actually a nickname of mine - you should have seen me on the side of the road at 1am int he middle of nowhere virginia cutting the side out of a dumpster with a pair of tin snips, using a hatchet and a screw driver to pound holes in it and bend it to shape to hold the two halves of my broken (snapped in half) clutch bracket together so i could finish my 7 hour drive home from college.

yeah i've got it still as a suvenier
Not on your bike right? Because who...but the real macguyver... keeps a set ofsnips in their bike?

Old 07-18-2007, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

lol - nope in a car. was about 7 years ago.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:13 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

lol, I was thinking the same. Where in the hell did the snips fit on the ride?