General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sylvania Silverstar bulb replacements

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 07:55 AM
Default Sylvania Silverstar bulb replacements

For those of you who have replaced their stock headlight with silverstar, preferably with an H4, I have a question:

Did you notice a distinct, unusual odor shortly after warming up the engine? (about 1-2 min)

I just installed one on my '05 250 and as soon as I was getting ready to take off I noticed a smell and decided to not risk a wire meltdown and cut ignition. I quickly pulled the connector off and felt to see if it was hot and it was actually not even warm at all.

I am hoping that it is just some kind of coating placed on the connectors that was burning off, but I certainly don't want to risk anything that I just don't know about.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Default RE: Sylvania Silverstar bulb replacements

There shouldn't be a smell related to the headlight bulb, but it could be the rubber grommet that covers the bulb after it is inserted in the housing. If it touches the contacts, it could burn; check to see if it or anything else is melted. Other than that, look for leaks (oil, radiator) and especially chain lube on the muffler.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:49 AM

The grommet is most likely the culprit. The smell did resemble a "chemicalish" smell, possibly rubber. I sure hope it won't blow, but considering your post about it in the H4 thread, I can only assume it is still working properly for you?

Old 12-21-2005, 12:53 AM

Problem solved I believe. You were correct about the rubber grommet even though there was no visible heat damage to them. The male connector was not hot nor was the female end after a near warmup and cold idle and no smell was present. thanks for the suggestion.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:41 PM

Glad I could help. I still have the silverstar in my 250 and its working fine. My only real gripe is that "I" seem to see the road more clearly with the yellow light as opposed to white light. Of course I live in florida, where alot of the streets are faded asphalt or concrete, so its hard to tell what's ahead of you anyway. It does seem to shoot further out than the stock bulb, but I may have accidently adjusted the headlight level when I low-sided last summer .

Old 12-22-2005, 09:30 AM

I do love how it shoots farther. Keeps me from running over the metal junk that people throw or drop on the roads around here! Though I haven't had the opportunity to see the road at night yet, I don't think I'll have too much trouble (Never know though).