General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strange Bike stopped running

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Strange Bike stopped running

looked at the pictures again..

the one that you areholding up showing that the center is missing. is that the one that the backside blew off? if so i doubt it went into the cylinder. if it is the other one then i'm amazed it got passed the electrode, and that would have caused some damage inside the engine.

however the non running issue could be electrical system damage - you said you were getting sparks everywhere. well the sparkplug end that was out of the cylinder would have been sparking to any grounded metal it could find and possible cause problems with the ecu or symply the iginition system.

heres hoping it was the broken plug and you didn't get a ceramic peice inside the cylinder.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 PM

mikeyntnc

Yes i checked to see if i am still getting fire. The plugs are working while hooked to the wires. I suppose it wont hurt to replace them tho. Is there a way to check the wires other than if they are working the plugs?

Kohburn

Both of the plugs are hollow like the picture. One broke off and the wire was slightly ejected out of the hole it goes in. The other was still completly in place. The electrode was just gone. Prolly in the motor as you said. I just got a manual from online and will probably be cracking the case open to find out whats in there. This is of course after i replace the plug wires and try one more time to get it to fire up. This will be the first engine i ever cracked open. Whish me luck!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

use a meter and ohm them out . you'd probably have to take them completely loose to do this . If it was me I'd change em anyway after something like this .

Old 07-31-2007, 06:44 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikeyntnc

use a meter and ohm them out . you'd probably have to take them completely loose to do this . If it was me I'd change em anyway after something like this .
Ah, took me a minute, but you meant ohming out the plug wires. And not the busted Chump Plugs. lol

Old 08-08-2007, 01:43 AM

Well here's the outcome.... I took the bike to the shop in hilton head. They guy looked at the bike and said that the engine was burnt up. He said that the plugs were way too hot. He tells me he is working up a quote to rebuild the engine and a statement saying that the plugs were the cause. Any legal action here you think? I talked to my lawyer and he said with the statement and so on he can prepair a demand letter for the responsible party (demanding the cost for the repairs).

For now tho i dont know who is the responsible party. Autozone for giving me the wrong plug, or champion for making a faulty plug. When i asked for NGK plugs for my bike the autozone rep gave me champions saying that NGK's wern't in stock and that these would work. Who do i go after? Any suggestions?

Old 08-08-2007, 02:50 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I will try to give all the details. I need serious help please. I bought this 01 Ninja 250 about a month ago. It had 6k miles. I changed the oil 3 times since them and it has 7500 miles on it now. The bike seemed to vibrate (engine) ever so slightly (hardly noticable) when i was riding for the last 2 rides. I went to get new spark plugs. None of the locals had the NGK plugs for the bike. AutoZone goave me a "cross referenced plug" Champion brand. I put them in the bike and cranked it up. It ran nice and smooth. When i put it in gear and started to let out the clutch it seemed as the bike was going to die. I let it run a few minutes and warm up and still had a little trouble taking off with out stalling out. Had to use higher than norm RPM to get moving. I tried to ring out the bike but it didnt want to go over about 85 ( I know that bike will usually hit 95-100 pretty quick with me on it). I turned around and headed back to my house to check everything and opened it up again. This time it only went to about 80. When i hit 80 the bike made a single popping noise, followed by a lot of sparks comming out of the front of it (it was night time and i could see the sparks lighting up the front of the faring) and a sound likea baseball card in a fan. The engine died imediatly. The temp was not high at all. I pushed the bike back to the house and pulled the spark plugs to find that they had both exploded!
Quick Q: What was the gap on the replacement plugs and what was your timing if you by chance know. Still stock timing?