General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starting Problems......

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Default Starting Problems......

I dont want to make this too drawn out but i figured the more i put in the better advice i would get. I bought a 98 ZX9R a year and a half ago. The only problem i ever noticed was every so often i would stop some where to get gas etc and only after leaving the bike off for a few minutes Iwould have problems starting it, i would let if sit for a minute or 2after trying and then i would fire up. Didnt seem like a big problem at the time. Bike has always ran great as far as i was concerned. Then one day i was leaving a friends house for which my bike only sat for 30 minutes or so and started fine but instantly ran like crap when leaving. It would bog down so bad in 1st gear like it was frozen but once i got the rpms going and out of first it seemed fine. I took to the shop since i have barely any mechanical knowledge and was told to have my carbs cleaned. So while that was done i was told it would not be a bad idea to have my valves ajusted, hell since i was already getting the carbs cleaned, new breaks, and the forkseals replaced i said hey why not, Im already spending and arm and leg here. Around $1000 later im off and riding and the bike seemed great. Weather started getting cold out here not too bad but i was not riding as much. I would take her out about 1 -2 times a week sometimes a littler longer. I started having problems starting it to where the battery would weaken so i would have to jump it. Then not ever jumping it would work. After 2 days of nothing i went out to the garage for something and just tried to start it and see what would happen and she fired up like a champ. I let her run for around 15 minutes and turned her off and was back to square 1 when trying to start again. Mechanic said bike was sitting too long and carbs needcleaning again.....dont make since to me so i search some forums and read something about starting with gas cap open....Started on the first try so i went on a 100 mile or so ride and bike ran great. Came home turned her off and tried to start again and nothing. Next morning which i now, wont even start with gas cap open.........wont even push start. How would i go about troubleshooting this. I have basic tools, like wreches, sockets, etc.....but will buy the whole Sears tool dept if i have to so can avoid the shop. I would rate myself a 2 on a 10 scale for mechanical knowledge....can i do this!

Old 02-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Starting Problems......

Next morning which i now, wont even start with gas cap open.........wont even push start. How would i go about troubleshooting this.
A 9 is not the easiest to push start. I would check the battery voltage first. Sounds like you already did the carbs not too long ago, maybe drain the float bowls to check for debris. Check your plugs. That kind of thing. Start with the basics.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:36 PM

will do ....migth take me a few hours.....i got a manual.....will get back to you....thanks

Old 02-11-2007, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 with the check battery. cuz you never said you changed it out. Same thing happened to my old bike. I was riding and i stopped at the bank and it would take me for ever to start it cuz the battery was shot. then i went to lunch and it wouldnt start. I had to get a tow truck. Next day went out there for sh*ts and giggles and it started right up. Went out riding came home next day dint start bought a new battery and bam started right up

Old 02-11-2007, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

Plugs, are they all dark and oily? Could be running rich!

Old 02-11-2007, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Pulling back on the throttle while starting a carbureted bike can create some hard starting problems. I have learned that the hard way.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

ALso changebothair and fuelfilterwhile your there

Old 02-14-2007, 04:08 AM

thanks for advice you all, I finally have a day or 2 to fix this issue along with some other minor ones -

how come after days of nothing, i opened the gas cap and itstarted like a champ...a few tries later even after riding hard for an hour i was back to square one....just the starter turning over

Old 02-14-2007, 05:52 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

question, does the 9's use a petcock?

Old 02-17-2007, 04:04 AM

yes it uses a petcock, it took me a while to figure it out, pretty simple it has off, on and reserve

Quick Reply: Starting Problems......