General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starter spins but nothing happens

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 PM
DRH
Default Starter spins but nothing happens

I have a bit of experience working on cars. However, I dont know a thing about motorcycles.
I just bought my first one(88 EX500). The seller said he rode it two months ago fine then let it sit until now. We tried to start it and the starter spins but the engine won't turn over. I bought it anyway cause it was cheap. I figured I could just swap out the starter and be fine. I took out the starter, which may not be the problem, and now I cant get it back in. It seems the starter turns a chain inside that turns the engine. The problem is the chain keeps falling out of place so the starter will not go in. I have a pic to show what im talking about. Is there a special trick to getting it back in. And in the one supplemental manual I have it says "starter spins without engine start" means starter clutch malfunction, but it says nothing about how to fix it. I just bought a manual on line and wont get it for a few days. I was hoping that someone here would know what is going on. If anyone here knows anything about this I would greatly appreciate your help.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1249/933B7BFF5FB34C2F81E18CE9231705A9.gif[/IMG]

Old 02-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Starter spins but nothing happens

I'll try to take a look at my manual tonight and see if I can find anything (but my manual is for 94 and up)

I'll see what I can find for ya!

Old 02-02-2006, 05:51 AM
DRH

Thanks for your help. I think the first thing I need to do is to take off the cover on the left side. I think its called the alternator cover. I took all the bolts out but it still won't come off. Everything that I need to get at is probably inside there. If anyone knows how to get that thing off, I would really appreciate your help.

Old 02-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, sorry for the delay, I haven't been able to find my manual (wonder where I put it last?!?!?)

I found a couple of links that might help you though, keep me posted on how you make out! (I think the last link might be the better one)

http://www.ex500riders.com/viewtopic.php?t=3624

http://www.ex500riders.com/viewtopic.php?t=2847

http://www.ex500riders.com/viewtopic.php?t=1868

Old 02-03-2006, 06:04 PM
DRH

Thanks a lot bluebird, those links seem to show exactly what I need to fix it. But I just have one more problem. They all say "just remove the side cover and you'll see the starter sprocket and flywheel." But they never tell you how to do that. I've been hitting the cover with a block of wood and hammer for over an hour, and pulling on it any way I can. But it just will not budge. Is there a special tool I need to buy? I didnt want to heat it so the paint would come off.
Thanks Again

Old 02-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know for sure, have you tried to see if you can pry it off, maybe a screwdriver might work?

Old 02-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

DRH - wait until you get your manual before you go any further. It appears that you don't need any special tools, you do need to remove the two caps off of the cover though. It also appears that you need to align everything top dead centre as well.

Just wait for your manual and you should be able to follow the procedure (I tried to scan the pages from mine, but there is something wrong with my scanner - g-damn computer equipment!)

If you get a clymer manual, look at the index under starter and you should find all the info you need.

Keep me posted!