General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Putting on some HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:19 AM
Default Putting on some HIDs

Hey guys, Im thinking about putting on some HID's on my zx6(06) and theres a couple questions I have.

From this site ( http://www.kawasakipartshouse.net/pa...d/default.aspx) I gathered I need 2 55W H7's. Im thinking about the white ones(6K). Those arent illegal are they?

Anyways, on to the real stuff. My bikes wiring was played with before I got it. As I bought it, its only got one bulb on the right housing and it turns on when I flip the highbeams on. When I flip the switch down to lowbeams, it turns off, and my bike is completely blind, no bulb in the left housing.

Anyways, it seems like straight enough plan to jsut buy two HID bulbs and put one in each housing, one problem though. I have a feeling the way it works is that the left housing has the low beams, and the right has the highbeams. I dont want this, I dont want to be riding down the road with just the left headlight on. I want it even, both on, or both off, get me? I dont want my bike to look like its missing and eye lol.

What Im thinking of doing is wiring both bulbs onto the the highbeam wires so when I flip the highbeam switch both housings light up. And when I flip it down to low beams, both go off. Ill also turn the highbeam housing down a little if its too annoying on the road.

Anyways, maybe Im just overthinking it and kawasaki already fixed this, but if it works like I tihnk it does, I need to do sometihng about that. Anybody familiar with 06 zx6r headlights wanna give their 2 cents?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:46 AM
1st Gear Member

All HIDs are illegal as aftermarket fittings. Emitters that fit into the stock housings are more illegal. They dazzle other drivers and leave unlit patches in front of you.

The only safe(ish) way to do what you want to do is to fit a pair of bi-xenon projectors. That isn't a trivial job. HIDs also need ballasts to fire them up. These have to be mounted somewhere. They're also still illegal.

With H7s, the idea is that one side is low beam and the other side high beam. That allows a reflector to be designed to only do the one job, and which as result is able to put more light on the road. I'm not dead sure about your model, but I think that the low beam is supposed to stay on all the time, with the high beam adding to it when it's needed.

Your current problem sounds as though you have no low beam bulb fitted. Fit one and see what happens.

THe link you give appears to be to a supplier who doesn't actually sell HIDs. I can see HID look alikes - or xenon incandescents, which are basically the stock bulbs. Any 55W H7 incandescent will fit and be legal. Anything else won't. For better lights, fit Phillips Xtreme Power H7 bulbs.

You can't have both lights on unless you have high beam on. That's likely to dazzle someone and cause an accident. Your only legal alternative is to replace the complete headlamp assembly. Your idea of Having both beams or neither will make the bike unrideable at night. Just turning the high beam down won't solve the problem of dazzling other people and you won't have a useable high beam when you need it.

I don't like the lopsided look very much either, but it does give better lights than the older H4.

Rob

Old 02-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Will, the link I posted is just to show where I got the fact that I need 55W H7's. If you follow the drop down menu's to kawasaki > streetbike > 06 636 > headlights, the bulbs they got there are 55W H7.

I dont like the idea of being stuck with the low beams in only one housing. At all. Im having a hard time accepting it.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

you may want to get a delay relay for your HIDs...it keeps your lights off for a few seconds until your bike starts...this minimizes the drain on the bike and keeps the lights from double igniting...I ordered mine from Tripage...go with 4500-5000K they are the pure white...6K starts with blue hues...

Old 02-27-2010, 11:09 PM

Ok, installed them, and I thought it would all be fine when I had it all hooked up but then stuff started happening. The low beam works fine but the weirdness starts when I turn on the highbeams. They either turn on and make BOTH lights blink, or they dont turn on at all

Maybe it would be good to add that when I first turned it on, it blew a 10A fuse, so I replaced it with a 15A fuse

Old 02-28-2010, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

You should not have HID high beam unless you have bi-xenon projectors. Putting in an oversized fuse puts your wiring at risk of failure due to overheating.

What exactly have you fitted, and how have you wired it up?

As for the delay relay, not sure about the R6, but on most bikes newer than about 5 years with low beams that can't be switched off, the headlights are pulled through a relay built into the starter motor relay that keeps them off until the starter relay has been released, and cuts them any time the starter is used - after a stall, for example.

Rob

Old 03-01-2010, 01:51 AM

Ok, here's the latest scoop. Today I was testing stuff out to see what I could figure out.

I dunno what bi-xenon projectors are, but Im pretty sure I dont have them.

I was talking to a friend and he said that HID's dont draw any more power than regular bulbs. But here's the weird things which make me question it. First, I tested the highbeam ballast by unplugging the low beam and making sure that ballast alone worked fine. It did. Then I plugged the low HID back on and plugged in the original normal bulb I had in the highbeam, that also worked fine. Then I started running the bike with both HIDs on, and when Im driving, they dotn blink, jsut when Im idling. Same effect happens when Im standing still but opening up the throttle a little

I really cant make anything else out of that other than the lights not getting enough power.