General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

PLEASE HELP bike doesnt start, blew white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:29 AM
Exclamation PLEASE HELP bike doesnt start, blew white smoke

Alright so heres how it happened. Sitting at a redlight, smelled very strong gasoline smell, looked back and bike was pourong white smoke. after about 10 seconds it stopped. i pulled away from the light and the bike had no power,, it started skipping and being very slugish. no more white smoke. as im looking for somewhere to pull over, everything goes back to normal. the bike revs and has full power. so i keep driving, about a half mile down the road it starts to skip again. it basically sounded like a 2 stroke dirtbike, maybe running off of 3 cylinders, idk. but then as im driving it goes back to normal. then once again it starts to skip, so i stop and turn the bike off. wait 30 minutes and turned it back on, and it was running crappy, and then it just died and wont start now..... soooooooo? any ideas, or does this thing need total rebuild or what? the motor has about 18k on it, EFI, zx12, 2003, full muzzy, power commander3, bmc filters, oils always been changed on time, never OVER abused. im hoping its just a plug or wire thats pretty easy fix. anyone have anything similar? i wont reject any comments. thank you

Old 10-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Check your oil for coolant. Sounds like a head gasket let go on you. Not a terrible job to do yourself, if you have decent tools and a garage. Happens to the best of us.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:13 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

true, as mentioned. Just do the basic visuals. The sight glasses and note the conditions/colors/levels. Then go from there. bummer on the ride issue.