General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

newbi looking a buying a zxr750

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Default newbi looking a buying a zxr750

hi guys looking at buying a zxr750 1993 as came across it in a customers garage the other week asked him if wanted to sell and he said ye.

The only problem is that it hasnt been started for approx 3 yrs but stood for 5with 24,354 miles on the clock, as it is the guys brothers old bike who passed away sadly.

I have a very good knowlage about bikes but as maily delt with off road bikes and them not being kawasaki`s.

When to look properly at it tonite the front brake i presume is seized on as carnt really push it, didnt want to start it as all the oil would have been in the sump + dint know if the valves might have been stuck, if i purchase it the wheel bearing would be a first and a good service. but just wondered if any one on here has got good knowlage on these bikes/engines and as how to tackle it what other possiblitys could be wrong.

sorry to talk on a bit but would be greatful for any advice/input and also how much do you think the bike could possibly be worth.

thank you

Aled

Old 11-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Two bolts per caliper will see if it is the calipers binding or not. Easy rebuild if they are. Careful on rotating an engine with the starter that has been sitting for so long without adding abit of oil into the cylinders. I like to rotate the engine by hand to see/feel if any rings are binding with oil etc. (if the brakes are froze, must be in a humid climate hence my cylinder/ring precaution). Not sure on what it would be worth to you. Sounds like a good project bike for sure. Good luck and Welcome to KF