General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Default Lifter problem

Ive recently bought a 90 Vulcan 750, the shop I bought it from says it has a slightly stuck lifter. They also say I fix it simply by removing it and priming it with kerosene and reinslling it, the kereosene won't hurt it or the engine? I know I can do the work but kereosene in a engine?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Default RE: Lifter problem

I dont know about kerosene. Personally I wouldnt IMHO
You can try like "GUNK" in your oil (make sure you're oil level isnt too high), run the engine for like 5 mins idling, then change the oil.
This MAY work, it MAY not. Its worth a shot I guess.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:29 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

As long as you do not fire off the engine with kerosene still present, it will work. I have saved a couple of engines in the past by pouring diesel down the intakes and case to sit. After a day, would hand turn the engine over feeling for any binding. I would do that for a few days. Not saying that it may be the best method, but it has worked for me.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:44 AM
1st Gear Member

+10

priming the lifter will only work for a bit. i'd use straight oil..

but for motor cleaning....
absolutely kero will work. its thin enough to break thru clogs and seep into places to lubricate stuck parts, it emulsifies and cleans, and its still heavy enough to still provide enough lubricity to keep bearings from scraping when cranking..

just run the stuff thru on the motor w/o plugs..

it will seep into the case, so make sure you do an oil change after a few hours of operating time, but kero is not volatile enough to cause an explosion.. it needs to be compressed for that to happen.

the stuck valve, however may be carbon buildup from not running baffles (if that was the case) i've seen it before, and kero flushing unfortunately won't clean the valve seat and stem. vulcans don't like not having baffles for some reason.. i wantto say the back cylinder is sticking??

btw.. welcome to KF!!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:29 AM

yea its the back,went to the stealership yesterday for info, would you beleive those idiots told me its irritating but nothing to worry about just run it

Old 02-17-2008, 07:59 AM
1st Gear Member

oh, of course bro!! they know you'll toast the lifter body to the point of always sticking open, and you'll need at least that, if not a new head from or worse from the valve melting......

a valve only gets to cool off when seated..

but if you don't want to try the diesel/kero trick, the lifters shoudn't be that hard to get to.. its a pushrod motor if i'm not mistaken??

i haven't worked on a v-twin in a while, so please forgive my ignorance if i'm wrong..

update me so i can figure out the cheapestand most effective course of action for ya.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:52 PM

No double over head cam 4 vales per according to the shop

Old 02-17-2008, 01:22 PM

they also say it cant be done unless the motor coms out of the frame?