General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

life time oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 03:51 AM
Default RE: life time oil filters

Nice "looking"filter.... The OEM's Spec a Pressure Differential for filters and this filter cannot have that if they only have 1 PSI back pressure.. It MAY increase HP slightly but not 5-8 or 12 that I have seen posted all over the net.

Another area of concern.. Oil, is the Life Blood of your engine. Keeping it clean, helps make your engine last longer. 65% of engine wear caused by dirt is caused in the 5-25 Micron Range and from has been reported, this is a 25 Micron Nominal (50 %) filter... A WIX for your bike has a Micron Rating in the Mid Teens at 80% efficiency.. one of the best filters you can buy...

For a few dollars more, you can get the AMSOIL EAO Series Filter for most bikes which has a 15 Micron Absolute Rating.. No other filter is better today.

Chances are you can change the oil with disposable filters, that perform better, more times during your length of ownership before you could match the price of that filter and Not have to deal with the cleaning process.

Doc

Old 06-09-2007, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Oil Doc

For a few dollars more, you can get the AMSOIL EAO Series Filter for most bikes which has a 15 Micron Absolute Rating.. No other filter is better today.

Doc
good info. does any one know wat the micron absolute rating is for a K&N. this is not the first time i have heard that the AMSOIL filter is the best on the market. just curious how the K&N compairs. i realy like there filter.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:30 PM

The K&N has a rating of about 17 Micron at around 80% Efficiency but has a lowdirt holding capacity... I have not seen any Absolute ratings other than AMSOIL and Donaldson..

I'll run a WIX filter before a K&N... although the ratings are close..

In order that I would run for Oil filters.. AMSOIL, WIX, Mobil 1, K&N...

Incidently, I just had a customeremail me the other day andwith his first email, I thought he was trying to hammer me on the AMSOIL Filter... I was wrong. He is an engineer and was actually telling me that the AMSOIL filter rates Better than what is advertised and using a Laser Particle Counter, is a 12 Micron at at 99.5 percent ... anything over 98% is considered Absolute.

The Media used in the AMSOIL Filter is a Nano-Fiber. Only Don. and AMSOIL have this currently. These M/C filters along with AMSOIL oil,were Field tested to 4 times the OEM recommended intervals..

As for the oils www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf 28 pages of Certified Tests comparing 26 oils

Doc

Old 06-09-2007, 03:13 PM

Who's lifetime yours or theirs?

Old 06-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Similar filters are made by several companies, RACOR for one and may be OK if you can also run a By-Pass setup to filter smaller particles...but on a bike, the room is tight even if you have a Touring bike.

Doc

Old 06-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Oil Doc

Nice "looking"filter.... The OEM's Spec a Pressure Differential for filters and this filter cannot have that if they only have 1 PSI back pressure.. It MAY increase HP slightly but not 5-8 or 12 that I have seen posted all over the net.

Another area of concern.. Oil, is the Life Blood of your engine. Keeping it clean, helps make your engine last longer. 65% of engine wear caused by dirt is caused in the 5-25 Micron Range and from has been reported, this is a 25 Micron Nominal (50 %) filter... A WIX for your bike has a Micron Rating in the Mid Teens at 80% efficiency.. one of the best filters you can buy...

Chances are you can change the oil with disposable filters, that perform better, more times during your length of ownership before you could match the price of that filter and Not have to deal with the cleaning process.

Doc
quick Q: So who makes the amsoil oil filters?

Old 06-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

^ I gotta agree with John.

I'll stick with my WIX, thanks. (I don't really care how good they look, as long as they filter the oil like they're supposed to....)

Old 06-09-2007, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with jeffzx9 on that one. you can't see my filter unless i took of my side faring and showed it to you. I use an regular oil filter on mine. as long as it filters the oil then my engine should be fine.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:17 AM

AMSOIL has their filters assembled by two companies with the parts that AMSOIL supplies..

Doc

Old 06-10-2007, 03:22 AM

That is what I was saying... they look good.. but they don't perform as well as many spin-on filters such as the WIX which is a good filter...

I own 2 oil filter demonstrators. One has a Fram on it and the New one has a WIX on it and it will probably stay relatively new as I use the one with the Fram on it as it is easy to show just how crappy the Fram is....

Doc