General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Kawasaki ZX6R Problems - Hydraulic Lock + Additional Damages

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Starting fluid = problems.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 PM

thanks guys for giving me some advice. I may get around to breaking it down this weekend. I'm not ordering any parts until I can get a full damage assessment. I'll be working on it with my cousin...he rebuilt a nissan 280Z a few years ago so we've got some experience. I've also read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". That's gotta count for something haha. It was an interesting book.

I expect this whole project may take more than a month. I'll keep you guys updated on what I find out.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Honestly? I enjoy doing the wrenching at least as much as I do riding. Once you get the grease and goo under your fingernails, it's like "drinking the KoolAid." It IS kind of a weird Zen thing for me. Seriously; I go to "that place."
Things I've learned. Don't be in a hurry. Work where you can leave the parts disassembled but ORGANIZED. (Think like a CSI) Label, photograph, bag/tag, use a cardboard template for your head bolts, CLEAN before reassembly, if it's marginal--replace it NOW, if you need to walk away to wrap your head around something...do it, using "more" doesn't always make it "better," check/check/re-check your torque settings, and make a list of the part numbers that you have used--for later reference or to possibly help another rider (on the forums!) It's also nice to keep those records and photos in a notebook. I have a notebook on the ZX9 that's about 3" thick after about 14 years of ownership. Every oil change, part number, new part, tires, dates, cost, as well as occasional riding notes and details. You trust YOUR bike with your life, right?

Keep us posted, glad to help.