General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Insurance - A Claims Newbie Question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Default Insurance - A Claims Newbie Question...

The inevitable happened last night... while parking the bike to open my garage door, I apparently did not have my 07 6R on a flat surface, and the uber long kickstand didn't quite have enough lean angle... Needless to say it tipped over.

Now my question is this... I broke a mirror, I broke the front brake lever, scratched up the right fairing pretty bad, and broke a peg. Is this something that I should turn into insurance, or something I should bite the bullet on and pay for myself. I mean I don't exactly have a ton of cash on hand, but I also don't want my insurance rates going up astronomically if I do turn it in.

I really have no clue how insurance or rates work, and was hoping someone a little more knowledgable than myself on the subject could lend to me their infinite wisdom on the subject as to what to do?

- DgrenJ

Old 04-08-2008, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Insurance - A Claims Newbie Question...

you have a few options. part of it depend son your deductables.
it was not a moving crash so you don't HAVE to report it by law you are free to repair it yourself.
if you have a high deductable it won't be worth it to have the insurance cover it since you'll be out cash anyways.

you can then fix it back to new. or you can fix the mechanical issues and leave the cosmetic for now incase something else happens later.

personally i would just pay for it myself, replace the peg, mirror, and lever. the levers are cheap as long as it was just the lever and not the base, mirrors also pretty cheap atleast used. the peg will depend on what part you broke, was it the peg itself of the bracket that holds it, was it the front or rear. i'd leave the fairing alone till you have money for a replacement , or you can do some of your own body work and spray a layer of touch up paint over it.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

e bay it and fix it yourself, the hassel and pain in the *** factor of going through the insurance company is not worth it alone, add in the upped rates and so forth, itll be cheaper in the long run.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ditto
ORIGINAL: evil636

e bay it and fix it yourself, the hassel and pain in the *** factor of going through the insurance company is not worth it alone, add in the upped rates and so forth, itll be cheaper in the long run.