General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

The impossible to find high end cut out

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Default The impossible to find high end cut out

I have 2 2000 kawasaki 300 Bayou's. One's green one's red. Last season the green one developed a problem with it's top end RPM's.

The Problem is at a certain RPM, I think around 4000rpm, the motor cuts out, then when it goes back down cuts in again. in again out again all around this certain RPM. This happens even when you gun it in nutruel. The thing rides just fine if you don't move the throttle past a certain point.

What I've done to try and find the problem

1. Checked the gas tank for bad gas and that the filter is clean
2. Tested it with a spark tester to make sure it's getting spark at those rpm's...
3. Took the CDI box of the one that runs good and swaped it...red one still ran good ...green one still did not.
4. swaped the coil from the red one to the green one.....red one still runs fine ...green one still does not.
5. Took the carb off the red one...put it on the green one...green one still ran the same ...bad.

6. gapped the valves back

Um ya .....so what the hell is left!?? I'm getting sprark I'm getting gas and the CDI box is working fine. Talk to some techs they say the governer is controled by the CDI box so that's not it.

Last thing I can think of is that maybe it's a week lifter spring and I'm floating the valve....

So then I'm wondering if I have to take the engine out of the frame to get to the head properly...any way let me know if you have any alrternitive...viable theory's ...lol

Old 05-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Cam, welcome to the forums. Sounds like you've done some good trouble shooting. What does your spark plug tell you; running rich or lean on the bog? Any chance there is something hanging up the throttle cable? How about the fuel flow to the carb? I don't think it's a valve floating. Is your exhaust route unobstructed? Anything bent from an errant branch in the undercarriage? I think it's something relatively simple. Keep looking and let us know.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF.

Does this thing use a fuel pump? I do not see one in the fiche anyways.

Have you checked for boot leaks? kinks or pinched lines? I too would not be overly concerned with a valve floating.

Let us know