General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Ignition Switch

Ok....well I'm trying to install an alarm and I need some information on my ifnition switch...

Acording to my manual (its way to cold to go check now) my 1997 zx-6r has these 5 wires running to my key

1) Brown - goes to my Junction box (which holds heaps of fuses)
2) White - which spilts and goes to the Junction box and to a regurator/rectifier
3) Gray - IC Ignitor
4) Blue - goes to some gauages (water temp) and lights (speedo light, tach light) and the rear and front light switch before going to the Juction Box
5) Red - Tail Break Light + Licence plate light

Does this sound right? Which one of these is my start line...which one leads to my battery (positive)?

Does anyone want to come over and install this for me....
Thanks for all your help - Jutboy

Old 03-01-2006, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Ignition Switch

You would think the Alarm would come with detailed instructions. But, alas, life is not that easy.. I can't help ya much. You might try a test light, and see which wire is hot all the time with key off, of course that one will be direct battery. The start line will only power up when the start is engaged. Does the alarm manufacturer have a direct web site that you can log onto and gain some additional info?

Not much help but worth a try right??

Old 03-01-2006, 07:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

dang, so much for having good instructions. That is messed up.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

well here's a shot... get your constant power direct from the battery..... since your running your wire to the battery you could get your ground from there too... if you are doing ignition kill or started kill you should have a relay prewired for your alarm... either ign. kill or starter kill, it doesn't matter which way you want to hook it up.... but for a bike ign. kill would be best..... so they won't be able to push start the bike.... i would say, the gray wire which is your ign. wire should be the one that you would hook up to the relay... when the alarm is armed, it should send a negetive pulse to the relay.... then if someone tries to start the bike with a screw driver or something, it will energise the relay and disconnect the ign. wire.... i hope that made sence.... if not let me know and i could walk you through it...