General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

If you know about carbs, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default If you know about carbs, please help!

We just pickedup a new bike for my fiance last weekend. She got an 08 Ninja 250. It rained last weekend so the bike sat in the garage fully gassed and ready. Well today we head out to ride and I jumped on her bike first to take it around the block and scuff up the tires a bit. I noticed that the throttle response was not good, and the bike seemed to bog when I opened the throttle abruptly. The best way to describe it was as though the bike wasn't fully warmed up, but it had been ridden and warm for about 15 minutes. Don't know if the gas in the carbs in the bike could have already started to varnish or what. We live in Ohio which is notorious for bad fueland it wouldn't surprise me if the dealer put 87 octane in the bike also. I was thinking of just draining the tank and putting in fresh gas or maybe spraying some carb cleaner into the carbs but would appreciate any suggestions.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: If you know about carbs, please help!

I would start by spraying some carb cleaner and see what results you get. I have never seen or heard of gas going bad practically overnight, but I wouldn't rule it out, especially if Ohio is notorious for bad gas. Just because I havent had it happen to me doesn't mean it cant happen. Also, I would think a 250 would be alright runnin with the 87 octane, thats just your regular grade right?It might be a good idea to check your air intake and make sure there is nothing weird going on there, sometimes a bad fuel air mixture can mess some stuff up. Good look, keep us posted!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:08 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: If you know about carbs, please help!

Take it back to the dealer and have them do a one week ownership make over. Good luck