General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I promise I'm really not stupid

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 04:13 AM
DRH
Default I promise I'm really not stupid

What size socket do you use for the spark plugs 88 EX500. I have tried a 5/8 spark plug socket. Are they metric or what? And this is probably a sign that I need to change the wires, when I was pulling them off the plugs the boot came off the wire(I was not pulling on the wire).

Ok here is where I am with this bike. First bike ever. I bought it not running with a broke starter clutch. I replaced that and got it running rough on one cylinder. I took apart the carbs this afternoon and cleaned everything. Tried starting it and got just about the same thing as before I cleaned it, except now it won't stay running. I'm blaming it on the big temp drop last night. I think(hope) that the problem is the corroded spark plug wire.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I promise I'm really not stupid

If you are still needing info, I will try to help. With the age of the bike, I would replace the plug wires. The boots will come apart from the wire pretty easily all you really need to do is make sure there is bare wire showing before putting the boot back on. But like I said, I would replace. As for the running problem, the pilot jets are very small and get clogged very easily. You have to take those out and make sure they are cleaned. There is a kit I saw somewhere that has a little wire brush just for this purpose. My guess this is the main problem.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I know sometimes the carbs might take 2-3 good cleanings. There are so many small ports. Also, make sure all of your seals and gaskets are good. Yeah, it's probably time to change the wires. Make sure you have no vaccuum leaks. I believe the spark plug is a 17mm . Hope that helps.....

Old 02-25-2006, 06:29 AM

Try A 13/16 spark plug socket....... you can't replace a spark plug wire on a bike........it'connected straight to the coil....that is most likely why your cylinder is not firing.......if the wire broke by you pulling on it. imagine what the corrosion did to your coil. Put a new spark plug in the end of the wire...........with the plug not installed in the cyllender .....rest the plug on the cyl fin .....turn the motor over and see if you see spark if you don't see a spark your coil may not be
producing any current......try that honey and see what ya come up with......

Old 02-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: shon

Try A 13/16 spark plug socket....... you can't replace a spark plug wire on a bike........it'connected straight to the coil....that is most likely why your cylinder is not firing.......if the wire broke by you pulling on it. imagine what the corrosion did to your coil. Put a new spark plug in the end of the wire...........with the plug not installed in the cyllender .....rest the plug on the cyl fin .....turn the motor over and see if you see spark if you don't see a spark your coil may not be
damb thats my lil greese monkey talking right there.... wow i just got turned on by all that.... [sm=drooldude.gif][sm=drooldude.gif][sm=loveeyes.gif][sm=loveeyes.gif][sm=loveeyes.gif]

Old 02-25-2006, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

[]

Old 02-25-2006, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: MAD KAW
damb thats my lil greese monkey talking right there.... wow i just got turned on by all that.... [sm=drooldude.gif][sm=drooldude.gif][sm=loveeyes.gif][sm=loveeyes.gif][sm=loveeyes.gif]
Wow, very impressive indeed!

Old 02-26-2006, 06:49 PM

Just a girl with a little grease in her veins

Old 02-26-2006, 07:22 PM

Just a girl with a little grease in her veins
There's got to be a song in there somewhere...

Old 02-26-2006, 09:21 PM

Dude, i had the same problem with the socket size for a while. I've g ot a 90 Zx 750 F, and it takes an 18mm, but you have to taper it!!
a 17 wouldn't fit the plug, 3/4 wouldn't fit the hole, to i grinded down an 18mm, and it works just fine

Quick Reply: I promise I'm really not stupid