General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP PLEASE!?!? 85 ninja xz600 low oil, and brake pads.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Default HELP PLEASE!?!? 85 ninja xz600 low oil, and brake pads.

Hey,
I wanna start off first by saying thanks for helping! Secondly, i really don't know what i'm doing, but am willing to learn so your patience in explaining concepts (or telling me i'm wrong) would be great!
Two main problems/questions on my 85 zx600. (which has not really stopped giving me problems, haha)
1. low oil. i just found out that on my last oil change, canadian tire ppl gave me a thinner gasket, so it's been leaking oil. (make sure you check when you buy it!!) I went to change the oil/filter yesterday, and to my horror ~250mL of oil came out!!! I have been running my bike on barely any oil, for the last few month!!!
My question: How bad is it? Should i try and run oil through it to clean it out?
I put in ~2L of new oil and an new oil filter/gasket, and BARELY any oil came out the bottom. Maybe a few drips. Is this an issue I should look into?

2. my front disk brakes have been squeaking. upon closer examination & testing, it's the left, front disk brake. turning the wheel i found the disk rubs against the brake pads for 1/4 of the rotation, creating the squeak. Upon taking the brake pads off, i found my right pads had a thread through it, and the left ones did not (possibly adding to the squeak?). The left ones were also substantially worn down than the left ones.
My questions: How do i know when the brake pads are worn out? What's the best place to buy new ones (Burnaby kawasaki seems to be continuously ripping me off). And how do I put new ones back on, since i pressed the brakes when the pads were off and the hydraulics came out, and now i can't seem to push them back in to make room for the pads, and to fit them around the disk.
man... i hope that's not too confusing. I can get pictures if anyone needs. Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP PLEASE!?!? 85 ninja xz600 low oil, and brake pads.

hahaha, welcome to the forums!

Question:
canadian tire ppl gave me a thinner gasket, so it's been leaking oil
not sure if I understand that.

Locating where the oil goes to is of major importance.

As far as the discs/brakes go, kinda sounds like they need resurfaced if they are not wore out or warped like you may have mentioned already with this.
turning the wheel i found the disk rubs against the brake pads for 1/4 of the rotation, creating the squeak. Upon taking the brake pads off, i found my right pads had a thread through it, and the left ones did not (possibly adding to the squeak?). The left ones were also substantially worn down than the left ones.

Just use a block of wood to lever the pistons back into place or use a couple of C clamps to push the pistons back into place.

Have fun.

edit: While the pistons are exposed, clean them up before you press them back into the calipers. Brake cleaner I heard works good for that, I use WD40.