General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

GPz600R Power boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:20 AM
Default GPz600R Power boost

Hey there
i just bought my self a 1986 GPz600R and i was wondering if theres any way of getting some more power out of it,it still got stock pipes and everything but i am very interested in putting a 4 into 1 or 4 into 2 into 1, i understand that the carbs will need to be rejeted to get any power gain from that but what else is there i can do to get more power or a better power to power ratio eg. Cams,forged internals ect and if i can does any one know where to get the parts

Remember im in New zealand but i still import the goods

Thanks Gareth

Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums man!

Changing the air filters, and the exhaust, along with rejetting the carbs and re tuning them, will give you some noticeable high end power.

Finding parts, like Hotcams, etc, will prove to be challenging for your bike man. I'm not sure on what route to take on the higher performance parts available for you. I'll take a look around, and see if I can come up with some links for you tho.

First tho, you just bought a used bike. Are the valves adjusted right? How are the plugs? The carb boots, carb adjustments/settings/sync? Chain age/condition/adjustemnt? Wheel bearings? All these things will shave off a lot of horsepower from you if not adjusted properly. That would be the first place I would start in your increase for power. Get all that done, do intake/exhaust/carb rejetting and adjustments, and then go from there. I bet by the time you have this done, you will have stumbled across some links to parts, etc.

Congrats on the ride man, sorry I can't help ya more.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new ride and Welcome to KF.

I would probably start with the basics as mentioned above. (Maintenance) Then you would have a good baseline to go from. Good luck