'85 GPZ600r ran great, for a sec...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Default '85 GPZ600r ran great, for a sec...

hello. Today I bought the bike I've wanted since I was in pre-school, a GPZ600R. I don't know a whole lot about street bikes (i've ridden dirtbikes alot so i'm comfortable riding it though). i got the bike at about 6pm and rode it literally all night. it ran fantastically. the suspensio needs some tuning maybe, but the motor ran great.

as i was on my way home, the motor and electronics just sort of shut off on me in while i was riding it. i tried just popping the clutch but it didn't do anything except turn the lights back on momentarily.

i pulled to the side of the road (luckily) and there was no power whatsoever. I looked for the battery to try to jump it, but i was in a sketchy neighborhood and wanted to get out of there fast so I locked the bike up at the gas station i was at and had a friend come pick me up.

I'm going back in the morning to fix it and bring it home. where is the battery? is that the problem? what else would it be?

thanks guys

btw, trust me, i've tried searching

Old 02-16-2008, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: '85 GPZ600r ran great, for a sec...

you might of bloen a fuse to the cdi. but thats sorta a guess, i dont know a crap load bout' streetbikes. but it is an easy place to start.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:37 PM

Can't help you much. Battery is usually under the seat.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:05 PM

K, so i went back this morning and pretty much took the whole bike apart. I checked the battery, it was good. I went through all the wiring and fixed what I felt needed to be fixed ( at least what was under the seat). finally, i got pissed off and smacked the fuse box w/ my wrench and the power turned back on but ran horribly and had a bad stumble, the tach was jumping around all crazy too.

I left the bike idling in the ****ty stumbly mode that it was in. and re went through everything trying to figure out a problem. After about an hour of that I got re-pissed, and whacked the fuse box again. This time the bike started to run perfectly. Just like it did last night.

I rode away, and got about a mile closer to home and it went back into stumbly mode w/ the bad tach. I took the seat back off, whacked the box again, and it ran fine, again.

When I got it home and shut it off I heard a wierd noise that sounded like a woosh. looked at the temp gauge and realized it was pegged red. the water was boiling in the cooling system.

I'm about to go back down and take a look at it. I'm thinking maybe i messed up the fan's power wire? or maybe I let it idle in stumbly mode for too long? or something worse?

like i said, it ran perfect for hours last night. so wierd.

does anybody have a wiring diagram for one of these?

Old 02-17-2008, 02:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

does anybody have a wiring diagram for one of these?
Check your connections. But I have some wiring diagrams on this ride.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:55 AM

I replaced the fuse/junction box and it runs like a champ. well, part throttle cruising could use some help... but that's another story.

unfortunately, now the headlights work intermittently.

miraculously, when i whacked the new fuse box it made the headlights turn on. hmm, bad headlight relay maybe?

:rollseyes: I'll go to get another one tomorrow. hopefully they have one.

will a junction/fuse box from a newer bike work?

I bought a clymer manual too. Now i'm in the know.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:37 AM
1st Gear Member

you can retrofit junction boxes and such if you're careful and crafty with electrical stuff..

don't use a 7-R box...lol

they suck.

i'll be glad to supply you with formulas and tips for anything electrical if you need it..