General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine bogs down when rolling on the throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Engine bogs down when rolling on the throttle

I just got my first bike a few days ago and I'm looking to get it running good. It's a 85 kaw ninja 600r. My brother and I removed the carbs and dismantled and cleaned them in carb dip, used carb cleaner in a can and compressed air. Put it back together and put new gas in it. It fired up and we were able to ride around but I noticed that when I hit the gas around 5 grand it bogged down, if I babied it i wad able to go alittle higher w it. I checked the manual and online and idk what to try. I noticed that it runs out of gas quickly also, perhaps it's running rich. I have the air box off right now also. Is there anything that I can do. Please help so I can get out there and join the riders!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Keep the airbox on the ride. Set the float levels and make sure that the emulsion tubes are clean as well as the normal mains. Make sure that the air filter is clean, and all clamps are tight. An incomplete cleaning and setting up of the floats along with synchronizing the carb rack is key to this little hot rod of a ride issues.

edit: the nitrile tips on the float needles do wear, so think about that obtain as well with the seats. I think that was mentioned above, just making sure.

It really sounds like a sych issue after your rebuild, so try that first if you know that you have set things correctly

Old 08-31-2011, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I ended up checking the (in tank) fuel filter which was good, so I proceeded to remove the carbs once again and when I removed the four bowls I noticed some rust like material inside the bowls. I took apart the carbs completely again and soaked them and all of the parts (with the exception of the diaphrams) in carb cleaner for almost 2 hrs. Put her back together and attached the air box and air filter and w a quick prime to the engine, she fired up and it revs all the way up to the max of 13,000 w no problems! The engine pulls like a freight train!!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, I am stoked for ya. Congrats...

Old 09-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Southpaw, just asking, do you have an inline fuel filter between the tank and the carbs? (OE or aftermarket; doesn't matter.) I would suspect there may be some rust or corrosion in your fuel tank if it has been sitting any length of time during it's life. (It's an '85 model.) Sometimes when (perfectly good) bikes like yours get pressed back into service, the particles can get stirred-up like a rock tumbler when you put in fresh gas. You might want to install the inline filter as cheap insurance....

Old 09-02-2011, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

The bike doesn't have an online fuel filter just the in tank filter. I definitely experienced the rock tumbler effect! so do u think I should put on a second fuel filter? will that restrict? I noticed that there is some rust in the tank. I'll keep cleaning the carbs after a couple runs to clean all the loose settlement out.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I would put an extra filter inline, just to catch the crud which the in-tank screen misses. The tank screen is a fine s/s mesh. A "fiber-type" filter can catch the very fine mud you found in your bowls. Easier to replace the fuel filter than to pull the bowls!! An in-line filter should not cause any restriction. Local auto parts stores will have one to fit your hose diameter; guessing 1/4; 3/8? Use hose clamps; don't just "stuff the hose on the filter ends." You don't want some errant bump to pull off the fuel line. Not good.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

5/16" hose, good catch jeff on the rust and added filtering if it will fit and definitely use clamps.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

ok ill get an inline filter so I can avoid pulling and dismantling the carbs. thank u both for ur much needed advice! completely appreciated!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I cleaned the carbs once again and put a new fuel line inline but when I went to start it it was acting like before when it hits about 5 grand on the tac it bogs down. Crazy bike!! I'm gonna take off the inline fuel filter and see what happens, other than that I'm out of ideas!!

Quick Reply: Engine bogs down when rolling on the throttle