General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

db questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default db questions

i am looking at different exhaust pipes for my bike (06 636) and not sure how loud is lound
this is what i found on one piticular pipe

• Street cores feature 18" L mufflers shells and 2" high-percentage perforated cores to ensure a quieter exhaust tone; most average 82-84 dB at idle, 93-95 dB at 5000 rpm (tested statically at 20", 45 degree); under-tail models have shorted mufflers so sound levels will be slightly higher.

• Racing cores feature 15" L muffler shells and 2.5" low-percentage perforated cores for maximum flow and aggressive exhaust tone; most average 85-88 dB at idle; 97-100 dB at 5000 rpm (tested statically at 20", 45 degree); under-tail models have shorter mufflers so sound levels will be slightly higher.

I want something thats going sound good and also want others to be able to hear it. like when i pass a car on the road they can hear me so they dont cut me off. i realize it still going to happen with all those stupid drivers out there but a louder pipe just might help.

whats your $.02

Old 09-24-2006, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: db questions

Loud pipes save lives.

My pipe is LOUD. The kind of loud, my wife can here me from the stop sign until I pull into the house when I get off of work. That's right about 1/2 mile away.

It is a ticket getter tho!! lol ......My yoshi is louder than my bros V/H on his electra glide. At cruising speeds. His is louder at idle.

100 db at cruising speed, would be about the same as a small block with 20" glass packs.....IMO anyway...

Old 09-24-2006, 08:34 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah i agree with the loud pipes save lives, thats why i think i am leaning towards the race series pipe. Im not to worried about the hp differences. they claim the street core has a gain of 5 hp. that should be decient for just a slip on. thanks for the info BigRig

Old 09-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

No prob man......

To give an example. A friend of mine was stopped at a four way. I was turning right at that four way. He never even knew I was there until he heard my pipes. That's from a fellow rider. HE did not even see me. And he knows to watch out for bikers....

Not that there would have been an accident... But my pipes made him notice me. And if he noticed, everyone at that four way had to notice..

Having loud pipes is like wiring your horn to constant on!! lol

Old 09-25-2006, 07:29 AM
1st Gear Member

thats what i am talking about. so the race core it is.

now all i need is another Franklin or two and ill have a sweet pipe and a pcIII

Old 09-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Nice..... you'll have to post back on how you like the race core.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:42 AM

ORIGINAL: BigRig18Wheeler

No prob man......

To give an example. A friend of mine was stopped at a four way. I was turning right at that four way. He never even knew I was there until he heard my pipes. That's from a fellow rider. HE did not even see me. And he knows to watch out for bikers....

Not that there would have been an accident... But my pipes made him notice me. And if he noticed, everyone at that four way had to notice..

Having loud pipes is like wiring your horn to constant on!! lol
its also a great way for cops to hear you...if you like to go fast, its give and take i think when it comes to loud pipes, sends alarms to a cop if hes near by, but also lets everyone around you know, that theres a bike, and to pay attention... but IMO loud pipes are the best way to go

Old 09-25-2006, 03:50 PM

I would rather pay more attention to the idiot cagers than draw attention from the cops. if I'm speeding I would rather him not hear me and be ready for me than him wondering what just went past him. I've had loud exhaust (D&D on a 600) and still had just as many close calls. loud pipes do not save lives good rideing does.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Everyone uses there bike for different uses weather its for transportation or recreation or both. I mainly use my bike for commuting back and forth to work (50mi round trip), and then of coarse the occasional cruse with my bros on the weekend. I don’t go speeding down the highway at 100+ mph because its usually during commute hours. I save that for the empty country back roads with long stretches. On the highway I do try to go 5-10 mph just to stay ahead of everyone and not get caught in anyone’s blind spots. although today two pickups were blocking both lanes on the freeway and some chick (not knocking on women drivers here) didn't even look over and almost ran me off the freeway. luckily I was paying attn. to her and had just enough time to react and get out of her way. I flashed my headlights at her, because the sun wasn’t quite up yet. Then the lane opened up shortly after, so I passed her flying the bird. no biggie just someone’s life at stake here, which could have been avoided BY TURNING HER HEAD. So in my case I think the louder pipe might benefit me more. I don’t race my bike so to get the maximum HP out of it isn’t my #1 goal. I do want it to breath better though, and sound good. I have a K&N on it already, and soon have a sweet pipe and pcIII. I know everyone says to go with the Akrapovic exhaust, but I think I’m going to go with the Boz Bros. slip on, just to be different. Unless any of you know anything bad about it. I do appreciate everyones insite and point of views. Good input.

I have a new baby girl due in a two weeks so the bike may put on hold as far as upgrades when I get the new parts I will post pics and let you know what I think.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GS247

I have a new baby girl due in a two weeks so the bike may put on hold as far as upgrades when I get the new parts I will post pics and let you know what I think.
Congrats man!!! That's awesome.... I am working on starting a club.....lol lol... The " You can't date until you are 35" club...lol
Here's a pic of my babygirl. They grow fast.....fo sho

[IMG]local://upfiles/1248/8A8ADD6C083D4B919A243EDA1CC8B4F3.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: db questions