General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Default clutch question

hey all, i just replaced all the plates and springs in my clutch and the bike is handling a millions times better but i have noticed that i cant seem to get teh tension on the cable just right and i am not tryinng to burn through another clutch. my question is in the clutch houseing on 2 of the friction plates there are o-rings in there, they are actually metal rings and one of them is beveald to act as a spring. does anyone know if the beveald spring should be like / or like \? i would have hated to put it in backwards, i was very careful to pay attention to how everything came out so it went in the same way but i think i might have made a mistae. anyone who can help would be very appreciated.
thanks

Old 07-11-2007, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: clutch question

hmm ok here you go, you soaked the plates in oil i hope, then when you put the steel plates in you should of noticed one side was flat and the other bubble, it doesnt matter what way they go in, AS long as they all go in the same, all flats or all bubble side out, the metal o ring washer whould be bowed out, a side shoot would look like ), when you put all the stuff in there it will go like vertical, its simple to under stand,no can you clear up why you think you cant get the normal tension, im not doubting you sir, just trying to figure out a better troubleshoot, did you torque the springs to the right spec? let me know

Old 07-13-2007, 12:37 AM

hello sir, the reason i think i cant get the tension on the cable just right is simple it feels like the cable is always to tight or just a little to loose. well yes i know i torqued the springs to the right torque. that really shouldnt be the issue. and i am not questioning you, you seem to have a great deal more knowlede than i. but the steel orings i know dont look like you are descibing them. they do not look like ")" they look more straght like "/". now when i got my clutch kit it did not have new steel orings. do you think i should order some new rings? also there are 4 rings all together. 2 straight and 2 curved. yes i soaked all the new plates, steel and friction, in oil for 10 to 15 mins as the book called for. when i was inserting all the new plates i did not notice that the steel plates had any bubble as you descide. so there is a chance that they did not all go in with flat side or bubble side out. how bably could that cause me to burn through this clutch? thank you, you have given me a lot to look for. i just need some time to take it all apart and really look at it again. i have really been considering ordering new rings and i know i should have ordered a new clutch cable but i inspected it and it looked good. i think i will order new ones of all that stuff. i have played with the cable a few times to see if i could get it dialed in just right but i notice that now when i get it close after a few minutes of riding if the bike is at about 3 to 4 thousand rpms and i grab the clutch the the clucth doesnt engage for about 3 to 4 seconds. and then it grabs just fine and i can shift with no problems. when i release the clutch it doesnt seem to take those few seconds to engage and kick into gear. any ideas? i hope this is a little more info and you might have some more expertise than i do. again thanks for all the info and i will look into those things.
tradd

Old 07-13-2007, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

haha that was amazing tradd it helped alot , im glad you did take notice to those, if you didnt notice the bubble side or flat side, its really not that big of a ordeal, there is two "spring washers" and then two washer the two spring washer are the same, to a Tee, the washer are diffrent by .20 of a mm the thicker one goes in first, you should be able to tell by setting them on a table and looking at a side veiw, just reuse the one that you had orignally the thinner one goes on first, then a spring washer like /,then after the seventh fiber placethen the next thicker washer, and then the last spring washer like /, heres the thing did you stager the last fiber plate, if you did , did you use the right one, it should have had a little bit wider friction pads, let me know if you need anyother help, but all of those spring washer and washer and staggering the last platehave to do with clutch noise, im pretty sureyour not fully adjusted some where you maybe thecable routing is wrong,

Old 07-13-2007, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

let me know if that helps any, i would go ahead and if you still have the old 4 steel orings reuse them if you discarded them find new ones