General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

clueless!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:35 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: RE:still clueless!!!!

Thanks for the pics, I need a schematic now! lol

Old 12-30-2007, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

well, drag is right on the blk/y being a ground. and the 3 phase..
that green wire is hot? if it is, then it should have +12.-14. volts on it. it should be the equivalent to battery voltage..

the whites on the unit should be your stator input.. the three phase is just 3 coils generating 3 sources of a.c. power, with a phase output thats 120 degrees out from the next wire..you can't charge a battery with 100% d.c. power. you need a "ripple" in the power to effectively shock and bump the battery power up. 3 phase is very efficient and provides enough of a high frequency to where you won't notice a flicker in the lights.

black's negative regulated power
red's positive regulated power

whats the brown wire going to?
and for that matter, the connector with the blue and yellow wires.. i'm gonna guess that's your trigger coils?

edit..A.sorry i posted 2 attachments. they're both the same. i'm just retarded. been like that since birth...

b.if you're really stuck just call or something and we'll do a live action troubleshoot.
that goes for anyone on here as well who reads this... 304-283-1613 if you need something.. or if you're an insanely hot female that likes ugly white kids with lots of toys.
and don'tworry about the whole time-zone thing.i'm up all the time anyway.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8004/9DD15AEAD58D4468A98D3E6E2897A519.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8004/D8FDBF62883F4AC79FBB106FE1A72FF8.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-30-2007, 03:53 AM

Ok i got a manual at the library today i knew the chances of finding the correct one, was slim to none, and i was right, so i got the closest one i could find it is for a zx600. Ok saying that i will start with the pickup(s) the book say i have more than one, i only have one pickup and two wires one black one yellow but i tested it and it tests ok460 ohms well the book says that the (two of them) should be between 360-440. so what do you guys think is it the cdi? and by the way WH i tested the plugs the old school way i grabbed them and cranked, just to cross that off the list.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:35 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, brave man for sure. Like tossing ya a live run cap and seeing if ya jump a little....

Old 12-30-2007, 05:32 AM
1st Gear Member

LOL!!!!

as an electrician, i've been shocked enough to not do so voluntarily any more!! hehe...

well, if you ruled the trigger coil out, and you made sure that thres only one, i'd goand try to rule ot the coil packs. you should be able to plug them into the leads of another bike with a similar setup. the primary and secondary resistance values will be the same rouglhy on all the coils between many different bike models.

its too bad you can't plug in another cdi into your bike. thats how i test bikes that come into my shop... i know my 6-E'e cdi will work on my 7-R, so i used that to diagnose a problem i had once with it...alot of crap like that cross references.

well, if you only have one trigger coil, it will make it way easier to use another dci on yourbike thats native to the u.s. machines. the 2 channel setup is like one step up from points and a condenser...the one channel is the modern setup. the main thing that makes it work is the rotor. each cylinder has its own little tit designated on the rotor that makes the cdi fire the appropriate coil pack. usually 10 degrees btdc. sometimes the timing is electronically advanced or retarded in the cdi unit itself.

idk.. theres gotta be someone out there that knows the specs on those components... theres ways to test the cdi with a meter, but i don't trust the methods all too much. too many variables.
i'm currently working on a computer based testing system that will work on any bike, and tell you whatevers wrong with whatevers wrong..lol.. but it's still a lil ways off..i'll learn what i can about your achine tho..maybe i can find something that'll work flawlessly and is easy to make work..

so theres only one triger coil?! i just wanna make sure..

Old 12-31-2007, 01:16 AM

ok guys i found a cdi unit in the UK some place called trackelectronics i emailed them for a price but they havent gotten back to me yet. and yes there is only one trigger coil and two wires.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: whitehendrix

oh.. and bigrig.. a million thanks for the greatest site i've ever seen! i haven't ben able to really find that crap until now. you're the man!
No prob man....

sublimenal
Date 12/29/2007 6:53:23 PM

Ok i got a manual at the library today i knew the chances of finding the correct one, was slim to none, and i was right, so i got the closest one i could find it is for a zx600.

Here's a service manual... http://www.themotorbookstore.com/kaw400500550.html
and another http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=1858

Old 12-31-2007, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Here's a free online manual to the H model http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/hmodel.html

and a free online manual to the L model http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/lmodel.html

the manuals are in adobe form, but they work.

If I run across a CDI somewhere, I'll let you know. I have a bro trying to find one too.
Do you have the part number to the one you found?

Maybe keep looking on ebay on the UK site. http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/ebay.html

one is bound to pop up maybe?

GL man.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Nice links BR!!!! Thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 09:03 PM

You are a lifesaver BigRig! the online manual was just what i needed and didnt know how to get. thanx alot.