General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Class M licence

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Default Class M licence

Does anybody know about the D.M.V. course to get your licence? I know each one is different, but I'm curious of how hard the exam is? I have my licence, but a buddy of mine only has his learner's. He will take the class this year but no opening until oct 15th 2005.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Class M licence

like you said each state is different...

In Mass. I had no prob. with the test

couple of figure eights, a few circles, then a run to the end of the parking lot get it into 2nd then come back and make a stop.. PASS

Old 05-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

I just did mine yesterday. Slow straight line ride (the examiner walks beside you and you can't go any faster than he/she is walking), two passes on the slalom, stop the bike, two circles left, two circles right, four figure eights, stop the bike, hand signals.

I PASSED!!!!

Old 05-10-2005, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

In Texas, you have to bring someone with a car. The examiner then rides in the car behind you and you ride through a neighborhood.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

So do you guys have to do any slow speed stuff to pass? That is all we have to do here. I think its crazy that they'll give you a license for slow speed and not evaluate you out on the road. I couldn't imagine getting on the bike and taking it for a rip, if I hadn't taken the MSF. I wouldn't know what the heck to do!

Old 05-11-2005, 01:48 AM

I've heard that hear in charlottesville V.A you can't pass on any thing bigger than a 650. Thats coming from alot of experinced riders. Thats why I took the class,I got my learners from d.m.v first.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:02 AM

I guess I got lucky taking it through the military then... The MSF (BRC) course totaled about 10 classroom hours and 8 riding hours stretched over 3 days. All on 125's (Rebels and Enduro's). Course was free (Active Duty) and to re-issue my licence with the motorcycle endorsment at the DMV was $7.25 There was two guys taking the course that had a 02 636 and a 01 GSX-R1000 and they were allowed to ride their bikes for the class.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

slow speed shows control of the machine.. that is where most riders make there mistake.. they don't want you falling into a turn, or common to a stop falling where you could get run over..

ORIGINAL: bluebird

So do you guys have to do any slow speed stuff to pass? That is all we have to do here. I think its crazy that they'll give you a license for slow speed and not evaluate you out on the road. I couldn't imagine getting on the bike and taking it for a rip, if I hadn't taken the MSF. I wouldn't know what the heck to do!

Old 05-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Our instructor said that anyone can go fast, the bike will do that on its own and be stable, low speed is where all your control needs to be. Everything that was taught in the MSF covers anything that could happen on the road.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: onewheel

slow speed shows control of the machine.. that is where most riders make there mistake.. they don't want you falling into a turn, or common to a stop falling where you could get run over..
I can definately see where the slow speed comes into play and I do see the value in having to do it. But you would think that they would want to send people out there with a bit more knowledge in how to operate bikes on the road, in traffic (I don't know, maybe they should make the MSF mandatory and lower the price of it here).

Since I did take the MSF and did pass the slow speed, I need to work on building confidence as a rider through practice. I know that I can do the slow speed stuff and I also know that I can cruise down a winding road with not much traffic. Next step is to get used to more traffic. But I'm not in a hurry for that yet!

And Remo - I guess you got lucky! In the end it cost me about $400 canadian to take the course and get my license re-issued with the endorsement.

Quick Reply: Class M licence