General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bike won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Default Bike won't start

Hey guys, I have a 2006 636, it's relatively new, only has 400 miles on it....Well I have'nt ridden the bike in about two weeks, so I go out thismorning to try and start the ride, and it does'nt crank or anything, all I hear is some sort of internal clicking...sounds like maybe it's coming from under the tank and maybe back near my tail section?

I can't figure it out because it's pretty much new and ran like a top two weeks ago, I don't know if i'm missing something obvious that needs to be done when the bike has'nt been ridden in a while, or if my battery's dead or something, but any help is appreciated....Thanks again.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bike won't start

well first off welcome to the forum. Is it fuel injected or is it carburated? does it sound like its crankiing over. but it just wont completely turn over. Or is just a ticking noise? I could very well easily be your battery we had the same problem just the other week on here. Check the battery. if that doesnt help then it could be your starter possibly. But first check the battery. Then go from there.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

HAHAHAHA firstninjabike, that was funny! Trelaboon has the 06 6r
Welcome Trelaboon to KF
But I will agree with firstninjabike in thinking that your battery either got drained either by a loose connection or you just have a bad cell. Your dealership will make it right for you if you take the ride to them.

edit: Unless the 6r has a park position that keeps the running lights on like my 10r manual says that I have. Which of course you would understand what happens next! lol

Old 10-29-2006, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

hey drag my part for my bike came in yesterday. But im up here in NC right now so i cant even see if the part works and im up here for 10 days. Talk about a curse myfriend lol. I want to go riding. Im gonna see if they have a bike rental up here in charlotte. Hopefully i can get my riding fix.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Charge her up and dont let her sit for soo long next time

Old 10-30-2006, 04:25 AM

Hrmm, well my first thought was the battery also, though i'm starting to think maybe there's some sort of loose wire, first of all, my lights are'nt dim or anything, and when I turn the key it starts ticking internally, and then I was outside trying to listen to the ticking again today, and while I had the key turned over, the instrument cluser sortof went blank...it was still lit up but none of the functions were actually on, then all of a sudden the clock and stuff showed back up and the RPM dial went to the top and back down like I had just turned the key over again, almost like it got some power over or not...hrmm...gonna try and charge it tomorrow I guess, it's too late tonight but i'll keep ya informed lol

Old 10-30-2006, 07:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Just as everyone else said:

Check the battery, kickstand safety switch (if it has it, check the neutral safety start switch), or you may need to replace the starter relay. That is most likely what you are hearing go click, click, click. The clicking sound could also be your fuel pump relay.

Remember that the clicking sound of a relay doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Member

also on a dead battery, the starter will click instead of turning over. easiest step first charge battery. then go from there check conections, then fuses and relays before you start tearing it apart. good luck