General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

bike won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default bike won't start

so by now everyone knows my bikes taking a vacation. anyways, I can't get it to turn over or anything. When i hit the start button the fuel pump kicks on, but nothing. I put a hitwire on the started to make it kick on while holding the start button and the motor will turn over but no spark. I check the fuses and they look good. I don't think ther is a tip sensor on my bike but i do know there is a gear sensor on the bike for starting. ANy suggestions?

Old 06-17-2006, 06:13 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: bike won't start

I do not think it is electronics, you jarred the ride pretty heavy. I would look into what you have damaged and what will make it run. Make sense?

Old 06-17-2006, 06:56 AM

Drag is right.sence it got jarred pretty good something may be loose.I would check to see if your ignition coils are getting power with the switch on.Even though it is turning over it may not be sending power to the coils and cdi.you may need to look at your "run" switch and key switch and torn or loose wires.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

its not getting fire or it would of started when i put a hotwire on the starter. when i turn the key on all the bulbs work and the starter button turns on the fuel pump, I've got to go get a multimeter this weekend and get out the wiring diagram and check to see of the cdi is getting power then if its sending power to the coils. i've also got to check and see if the gear position sensor is mess up too, ofcourse i've got to find it first. i'm actually having pretty good luck on ebay findign stuff, i just got to get the money to get it all

Old 06-17-2006, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

make sure u didnt hit your kill switch

Old 06-17-2006, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

the kill switch seems to work normally, when its in the off mode the fuel pumpdoesn't work and when its on the pump will kick on

Old 06-18-2006, 03:03 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I think you are on the right trail. Keep us informed.

Old 06-18-2006, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

i'm gona test the nuetral switch sensor the ignition pickup sensor to see if thats why its not working

Old 06-19-2006, 07:19 AM
1st Gear Member

well i figured it out after about 3 hrs of testing with a tester. ok on my bike i have a ignition lockout switch. It has 3 wires coming from it. 2 are from the junction box and a third is to the cdi. all 3 wires are one continous ground. well for whatever reason one of the wires returning from the box(which i can't find BTW) isn't grounding back to the junction box, but the other 2 wires are. so I grounded the third wire and she started right up....well as best she could with no air box, choke, throttle control or a cap for the slider/needle for #2 carb. I hold the choke slightly or manually move the butterfly and she revs up as best she can on 3 working carbs. I was debating selling the bike before b/c I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start and I was afraid it was something internal of the engine. Well now I need to weld my guage cluster back together, get a cap for the #2 carb, get a new airbox, tank and some clip ons and i'll atleast get her on the street, not legal but on the street.

anybody know where i can get replacement bars for the stock clip ons? the brackets are fine and both bars went to crap. I don't even wan t to call the dealer. they want 50 bucks for the cap that goes on top of the carb for the slide and needle assembly.