General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 zx6 overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Default RE: 97 zx6 overheating problem

well i took it all apart today. found a couple things that may have been causing the problem. bottom part of the reservoir tank where the hose connects was plugged, which im guessing wasn't letting the coolant leave the reservoir. took off a couple of the hoses too and the insides are all gunked up. planning on flushing all that crap out of there. ordered a new thermostat and all new hoses today since im guessing neither were changed by the previous owner. also ordered a new radiator cap just to cover all the bases. should take a week or so to get the parts so ill update once ive put it all back together and fired it up. thanks for the help!

steven

Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

If it continues to overheat and/or begin puking coolant out of the reservoiryou may want to check your head gasket.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:46 PM

hopefully that isnt the case ha. but well see when i get it all back together. thanks

Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 AM

well figured id give an update. still no luck
flushed system, replaced thermostat, all 6 coolant hoses, spark plugs, headlight bulb, and air filter(just needed to)

fill up with engine ice, and crank it. fires right up. idles fine, temp doesnt move up very much, felt the hoses, coolant was circulating.
decide to ride around parking lot to see how it goes. @10 minutes into riding temp is right about normal, and i look down and see a small line on the ground from something leaking. stop riding and leave bike running and there is a small amount of coolant coming out from the overflow hoses where it comes out when it boils over. begins coming out at a higher rate so i shut off the bike. fan was running. look at the coolant level in reservoir and it was lower than before, so i filled it back up and let the bike sit.
only thing i can think of, is a bad radiator cap which is not providing the pressure, or that there is some blockage in the hose that leads TO the reservoir. there was no coolant going into the reservoir, but the coolant coolant was going out. could the small amount boiling out when it reached normal temp be from when the coolant expanded and had nowhere to go but out because the line is blocked? i have a radiator cap on the way, and im going to check the hose tomorrow to see if it is inact blocked. but if this doesn't solve it i am stumped i just want to ride :/

any thoughts?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a head gasket to me. I've been through EXACTLY what you're experiencing.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:06 PM

well ha i think ive got it fixed. whoever owned the bike before me screwed up the hoses leading to the reservoir tank. they put it on the bottom instead of the top so nothing could get into the reservoir. switched the hose and then made sure to get the air out of the system, and fired it up. rode it around for a bit and let the excess engine ice dribble out the overflow. level in the reservoir is just below the H and temperature is at right in the middle of the gauge. rode it and then let it idle for about ten minutes. temperature did not move and the bike did not boil over. thanks for the help! can't wait to get back on it and ride

steven