General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 ZX6....chain issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 95 ZX6....chain issues

So I just picked up a 1995 ZX6 and it has some pretty funky noises coming from the chain, especially in the lower gears. I don't really know anything about working on a motorcycle but I'm pretty mechanically inclined on cars. Now would this be a loose chain issue or maybe needs to be greased/lubed? Also how much play should there be in the chain when it's not moving? Thanks for all info!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Also here is a video that shows what the chain is doing, this is in 1st gear....

View My Video

Old 08-16-2013, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi there. 'Bout dat chain.....

There are three terribly controversial topics when it comes to motor sickles on the www. They are

1. What oil should aw use?

2.What tar [tire, for you yankee %*$#s] is the bestest?

3. Whas wrong wit ma chain?

So I venture back onto the battlefield to hep a fella biker, full aware of the consequences.

Yer chain seems to have some tight spots in it. Most chains get 'em eventually . Depends on how **** the chain owner is about maintenance and his procedures.

Your chain may be completely shot and in need of replacement. It may be developing tight spots from lack of any maintenance. If it is shot, replace it. A chain failure will leave you walking at best, looking for a new engine case if the chain goes through it, or possible skin grafts to repair your hide after the locked up rear wheel sends you off a curve for worse case scenarios.

It's hard to diagnose over the internet. The chain in the video looks drier than a popcorn fart. It may be revived for a while by a good lube bath. IF you can get the chain off [some chains have a master link that enables one to remove the chain without cutting the pins in a link to drop the chain], I suggest you drop the chain in a container of Automatic Transmission Fluid.....the cheapest stuff you can find. Let 'er soak a few hours and slap it back on. IF you aren't blessed with a master link enabling you to drop the chain from the bike, pull the rear tire off [raise the rear of the bike FIRST] and drop the slack end that was around the rear sprocket into a vat of ATF, and rotate after a while. The ATF will lubricate, penetrate, clean, condition "O" or "X" rings, and attract the fairer sex.

Some "clues" as to the true state of affairs with your chain might be to get some pics of your sprockets, front and rear and post 'em up. IF they [sprockets] are "fish hooked", wore down to nada, missing teeth, etc, it may indicate your chain is about in the same shape. IF all appears well with the sprockets, things just might be OK with the chain for a while longer.

Chains and sprockets are like tires......the have a life expectancy, and are considered a maintenance replacement item. 15,000 miles is about the average lifespan of most chains, this contingent on right hand throttle habits and maintenance frequency and methods.

Many state when replacing a chain, one should also replace the sprockets. I think this might apply if the sprockets are visually shot, showing abnormal or ecessive wear. I have over 60,000 on a rear sprocket, about 45,000 miles on a front sprocket, 28-29,000 on an "X" ring chain. I lube/clean the chain about every 250 miles. I have "bought a little time" for chains that developed tight spots with ATF. On today's chains, a clue things are indicating replacement time is near is finding red powder residue on the chain and sprockets. That's an indication the "O" / "X" rings are shot and releasing the clay lube the rings were designed to contain.

I rode a '69 Triumph 650 Bonneville backwards into a barbwire fence after the chain broke and wedged between the axle and frame. We didn't have "O" or "X" ring chains then, and we lubed chains by cooking them in motor oil / gear lube. We did ours in an old hubcap over charcoal. I guess I put it off a little too long that time. I had adjusted the chain tension on the bike twice, which is a good indication things are wearing out. Chains don't stretch. Those 'lil pins that hold everything together wear, becoming thinner. That's where the "new length" comes from. Couple hundred of those 'lil pins wear down a few thousands, and you have some slack in yer chain. And less pin holding things together.

Last edited by Fuller_Malarkey; 08-16-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah sorry, I did so some searching before hand and didn't get what I was looking for so I posted..however I did tighten the chain up today and it's not making as much noise as before and feels a bit smoother. I do think it will need replacing soon because the identification marks on the swing arm, its on the 2nd to last one. I threw some chain oil on it and that helped a bit also but its making a lovely mess of throwing it all around the place.