General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2009 KLX-250S, engine stalled when opened throttle from idle

Old 07-09-2018, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 2009 KLX-250S, engine stalled when opened throttle from idle

My 2009 KLX-250S engine stalled when open the throttle from idle.
So it was diagnosed that I need to take apart the Carburetor...
This is my first time ever disassemble it.
As I remove the most of stuff, I found I have no access to the mixture pilot sacrew, it was blocked.
So I did not clean it.

Big mistake! because after I cleaned the rest put it back. it still behaved the same - running in idle ok, but after opened the throttle, engine stalled...

So I found and looked at service manual from the web:
https://djebel-club.ru/_ld/0/Kawasak...08_2009%20.pdf

It seems I need to punch a hole on "plug" that blocked the access to mixture/pilot screw?!
I guess it is because this carb has never been opened?! I am the original owner anyway.

For cleaning, I only dipped the carb in cleaning fluid in the ultra sonic cleaner.
Not sure what is the best way to clean the carb?

Thanks,
Karl

Old 07-09-2018, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes you need to either punch or carefully drill (very little effort, it is soft metal and thin) to get a hole in it to pry it out. For some reason I'm thinking I've read where people have run a small screw in it to pull it out. Not a tough job.

Having worked in a dealership and seen what goes on, if you can, have the carb cleaned in a washer or ultrasonic cleaner. They can work the solvent and vibrate it around in places that cannot be reached. It is really tough to get into the smallest passages with spray or even small wires (which can ruin jets).

A good cleaning may do the job if the carb was gummed up. Otherwise I'd make sure the needle is properly assembled and seated in place. What you are describing, the bike is idling - I take it the choke is off - it stalls as the throttle opens. That tells me it involves the slide/needle transition. But I am assuming the choke is off and the engine is warm. If it stalls when the choke is taken off, the pilot circuit is clogged. I'm sure there will be some other input from people more familiar with the workings of the CV slide.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, drill a small hole in the cover, then turn a wood screw into the hole to grip the cover and pull it out.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Yes you need to either punch or carefully drill (very little effort, it is soft metal and thin) to get a hole in it to pry it out. For some reason I'm thinking I've read where people have run a small screw in it to pull it out. Not a tough job.

Having worked in a dealership and seen what goes on, if you can, have the carb cleaned in a washer or ultrasonic cleaner. They can work the solvent and vibrate it around in places that cannot be reached. It is really tough to get into the smallest passages with spray or even small wires (which can ruin jets).

A good cleaning may do the job if the carb was gummed up. Otherwise I'd make sure the needle is properly assembled and seated in place. What you are describing, the bike is idling - I take it the choke is off - it stalls as the throttle opens. That tells me it involves the slide/needle transition. But I am assuming the choke is off and the engine is warm. If it stalls when the choke is taken off, the pilot circuit is clogged. I'm sure there will be some other input from people more familiar with the workings of the CV slide.
Yes, it stalled when engine has warmed up or hot, and the choke is off.
If choke is on, it doesn't stall at all.

Maybe I should order a Carb rebuild kit?

Old 07-09-2018, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

There is no rebuild kit like cars have. The carb is so simple you only order what you might need, which for cleaning is nothing. If you need to jet it, that's when you get parts.

If it wlll not run without having the choke on, the idle mix circuit and/or pilot jet are clogged with some crud or gum. The bike will run with the choke on, because it isn't a true choke, it is an enrichener circuit and the bike is idling with that circuit instead of the pilot jet and idle circuit. If so, it needs cleaned.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the tips :-)

Karl