General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1983 kawasaki KZ440 LTD Motor Swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 03:05 AM
Talking 1983 kawasaki KZ440 LTD Motor Swap questions

Alright guys, so before we get started I just want to start with complimenting the amazing "Newbies READ THIS" on the main forum page. This may have just stopped me from purchasing a bike that may KILL me, but instead come seeking help fixing my first, amazing old school bike. Now onto business!

So I recently found myself running into an issue with my bike. Last season I swapped a PS3 and a tablet for this bike, for no other reason than saving on gas (So I thought....). Well, here I am. I like to go fast, I'm nineteen years old, and found myself on the highway enjoying myself when I found my bike overheating trying to keep up with 65MPH traffic. Of course this was literally my first time riding (We won't get into the legal issues with this situation) and as an oblivious kid, I found myself tasting the bittersweet taste of poor maintenance from the previous owner who failed to keep the oil changed, and the bike well taken care of. So, with the overheat issue and my issues with being caught as an unlicensed operator, I tried to continue riding to make it home which I thought would be safe. All of a sudden, my bike turned itself off, and I could smell the oil and hear it boiling, instant motor bake, again so I thought. The bike still starts, but has a horrid knock, which I believe to be a warped piston. This season, I decided it's time to not only learn to ride properly, but also properly maintain my bike. So here lies the question: Has anyone modified their bike with ANY other engine besides a KZ440 Engine? I am having difficulties finding my year engine, and I'm not sure what my area of year I have to work with while looking for a new engine for my bike.

Has anyone used any other engine in their KZ440 LTD (Belt Drive) and had everything go well/if not better than when they started? (Obviously a running engine is better than no engine for sure lol)

Hope to hear from you guys soon, and thank you for that amazing introduction to probably saving my life lol :P

Old 03-13-2013, 03:25 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Stay with the belt drive and the KZ440 engine combo or just rebuild it. Check for used engines. There should be alot of them out there. Otherwise, you may end up spending too much on the KZ440ltd than what you think it is worth. For example: I picked up an 08 ninja 250 for $1100, an 05 ninja 500 for $2k. Both are cheaper than rebuilding your kz440 unless you get a used motor to toss in.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I'm looking into doing a swap for a YZR600r, I'm hoping it won't be too big but I'm going for it simply for the fact it's a close friends, and he wants to rebuild my bike, and I want a rocket. Might end up re-upping for a 250 and some cash, never hurts. Depends on how bad this bike scares me. Again, fairly new rider.