General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

00 ZX-6R starts but while warming up...bike dies off

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Default 00 ZX-6R starts but while warming up...bike dies off

Hey Everybody,

Ive had my 2000 ZX-6R for a couple weeks now and things seemed ok until a couple of days ago. I finished doing an oil change (which i think is just a coincidence to the problem because i ran the engine and it warmed up fine after the oil change) but ever since the day after, every time i start the bike (with choke being on, fuel tap "ON", full tank) the bike will start no problem but after about 30 seconds it slowly loses rpms and ends up dying. To start it again i have to use the throttle and will die as soon as i let go of throttle, but as long as i manually keep it in high rpms it runs.

I have read and talked to people about these bikes not liking cold starts, and one mechanic said he had a similar problem and would always have to turn his idle switch to high and then re-adjust it after the bike was worm. This didn't sound right to me because I've had it running since i bought it and started fine, and i figured thats the point of the choke.

I was frustrated enough to try the idle adjust as well, and after still not starting with slight increases in the idle switch i got pissed off and turned the idle switch to fully on and started it...it did start and stay on since it started at 7000 rpms . I reduced the idle and re-adjusted it but it stayed on after this point, since the engine was pretty hot based on its temperature.

Anyways some help is much appreciated. This is driving me crazy, mostly due to the fact that this seemed to happen overnight and i can get the bike to stay on if i keep the throttle engaged until the bike is very warm but didn't have any of these issues before the "oil change".

Old 04-23-2010, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

lol, did you use the right oil? A different viscousity could cause it to run differently.

There are many differences between when the bike is running cold to when its warm, and since bikes are picky to start with these changes can be severe. There are too many things that can give you problems the best thing I can suggest is a full tune up, air cleaner, fuel filter, carb cleaning, spark plug and wire checks, vacuum check, etc. Go through the regular maintenance list in your manual and do everything that hasnt been done in a while. Most checks are cheap and easy, and even if it doesnt cure the problem, your ride will thank you. Let us know what you find, and welcome to KF!

p.s. PICS!!!

Old 04-23-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Prom
lol, did you use the right oil? A different viscousity could cause it to run differently.

There are many differences between when the bike is running cold to when its warm, and since bikes are picky to start with these changes can be severe. There are too many things that can give you problems the best thing I can suggest is a full tune up, air cleaner, fuel filter, carb cleaning, spark plug and wire checks, vacuum check, etc. Go through the regular maintenance list in your manual and do everything that hasnt been done in a while. Most checks are cheap and easy, and even if it doesnt cure the problem, your ride will thank you. Let us know what you find, and welcome to KF!
Thanks for the welcome...Im not sure what type of oil was in the bike before but it looked pretty dirty and overfilled. I used the recommended 10W-40 but i got the non-synthetic.

I definitely will start replacing things off the general tune up list, but my biggest worry is the fact that it happened overnight after the change.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Well there arent too many things you touch with an oil change. I doubt you broke anything tho. Could be the oil was lower viscousity for colder riding and the new stuff is slowing it down, or the old oil was pounded into submission, but either way it would probably be hard to start as well as trying to die. Or it could just be a coincidence that it happened after the oil change. Let us know what you find, maybe someone else will have a better insight.