General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

So - what do you think of this football jersey CRAP from some spammer

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default So - what do you think of this football jersey CRAP from some spammer

I think if the moderator doesn't act soon these spammers will kill this site.

I hate it when this sort of crap goes on. I'm a moderator on the KLX650 group and we moderate any suspect new member, blowing them out immediately if they spam or go off topic, since the KLX650 group is specific to the KLX and has no social sections per se. I give them the boot!

Old 10-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I think if the moderator doesn't act soon these spammers will kill this site.

I hate it when this sort of crap goes on. I'm a moderator on the KLX650 group and we moderate any suspect new member, blowing them out immediately if they spam or go off topic, since the KLX650 group is specific to the KLX and has no social sections per se. I give them the boot!

Ok while I feel your frustration I will say that right now there is nothing we can do. I have banned 50 in the last week, and more show up. We are not the only site that has experienced this. I talked to Patrick a couple of days ago, and he said they were trying some new software that might curb some of this. Until then, just ignore and we will try to remove ASAP.

Also to any of the mods, Patrick told me that we need to not only ban and delete, but there is no reason to keep a copy, lets clean it up guys.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I guess there's no moderation possible with this sort of forum set up. There is with the Yahoo forums, but they're no where near as user friendly as this set up.

I know a few forums have been deluged by spam and abandoned. The first Yahoo KLR650 group had that happen. They actually started a new group due to it. In the KLX group we will not accept anyone unless their introduction has some relevance to the KLX. Spammers don't take the time to do so. I hope your new software allows moderating for the first few posts.

I'm not sure what you mean about keeping copies and cleaning it up...

But I appreciate this forum, it's well run.

Last edited by klx678; 10-11-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

No moderation? We have 5 mods and a few admins, and we all have the same ability to not only delete thsese posts, but we can ban the user name and IP address. But what some people don't understand, is that user names and IP addresses are like mosquito's, you squash one, and there are thousands more to take its place. IP addresses are not assigned to each person in the world. In fact every time you log on in most of the computer world, you grab a new address. That's why these guys show up in droves. We are working on it. And what I meant by not keeping copies, is usually when we delete and ban losers that are doing this it still left a soft copy for other mods and admins to see. But we don't need to do that anymore, because it just takes up space.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

.....Ibid.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Huh?......

Old 10-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Ok guys, I will bite on this topic some as well. A little shop related here, but a soft delete was mandatory for "Z" hrs so that other mods and members could see that you or I were not picking on a certain member. That way we could all be fair in that everyone could be a part/justification of the ban or the delete for that complaint. Unfortunately, my patience is thin with the large hits of spam.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

(Deej, "Ibid" is the term used to "refer to a previous literary citation." On one of the ignorant spam posts, I used a crude reference to anatomy. Rather than repeat such, on our family-friendly site, I am using the term "Ibid." Since spammers seem to have so much time on their hands, they can track the link....)