General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Shifter problems....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Default Shifter problems....

Hey i got on my bike this past weekend and when i got on the highway i discovered that when i tried to shift into 3rd. it wouldnt go...
so all i have is my first and second gears....

does anyone know what would cause this?
anyhelp would begreatl appreciated....

Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I dont know what model of bike you have, but if it has an adjustable linkage for your shifter, that would be where to start. when you try ot go to third gear, do you always allow the shifter to unload before going to the next gear? And if so, when you try to shift, does the shifter go hard against your foot, in other words, does the shifter fail to move upward when you try to pull it up into third gear?
You need to give us all of the symptoms before we can offer repair recommendations.
In worst case you have a bad shifting fork, or shifting drum, best case, you need a linkage adjustment. But make sure you allow the shifter to unload between each shift, I.E. allowing it to return to center stroke before the next shift.
Give us more symtoms and we will of course try to help you Bro!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Worlok14
does the shifter fail to move upward when you try to pull it up into third gear?
this is exactly what it is doing.... it feels like the shifter is stuck and doesnt want to be pulled up... and yeah i let the shifter unload before going into another gear...
my bike is a 2001 zx6r im not sure if it has a adjustable linkage or not...

i have never had this problem... it was fine last season and now after not riding it the whole winter it is messed up which is why i cant figure it out...