General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

New bike, bogging/dying issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Default New bike, bogging/dying issue

Hello, this is my first post here.

I just picked up a 1995 Ninja 600R (which im not even sure if this is an actual/correct model or not) from a guy on Craig’s List. I went to pick up the bike, we started it up, ran it down the road and back. Everything seemed fine. I threw it in the back of my truck, dropped it off at my garage. Once I unloaded it, i started it up again, took it down the street a few times, went through all the gears, going through then entire rev range from 1-3 and felt no flat spots or hesitation. for a 12 yr old bike, it ran amazing.

So to the question, the next day i go to start it up again, fires right up. After it warmed up a bit i went to give it some gas and it immediately bogs down and cuts out. So what the heck has changed from the day i brought it home to literally 12 hours later when i went to ride it again?

First thought was bad gas or spark plugs. I already pulled the tank and drained the gas but it seems like i cant get all of the gas out! Are there baffles or something in there that is holding gas that i cannot get to? BTW the gas in it was yellow and disgusting.I can't see though why it would run so well the night i got it but the second i try to ride the next day, it won't let me rev it at all. Also, I can put on the choke while it’s idleing and it will rev up and hold the rev but even then, giving it gas boggs it down.

Is there any chance I accidentally took something out of tune while I was messing with the bike when I first got it?

I have pulled all the plugs and went to install new ones only to realize the guy at the parts store sold me the wrong ones.

cliff notes. the bike will start right up and idle well all day long. Yet, when i go to give it gas, it boggs down and dies. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Default RE: New bike, bogging/dying issue

BTW, here is a few pics of the bike.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2/DSCN0444.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2/DSCN0446.jpg

sorry for the blurry one but you get the idea

Edit: ok apparently hotlinking doesn't work, replaced with links.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice bike I'm guessing pilot jets (idle jets) are clogged. especially if the gas was bad. With todays fuels it doesnt take long to go bad. You might have to pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning. You could try running some Sea foam in the next tank of fuel. It might help clean it. That is a Ninja 600R. Great bikes.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I totaly agree you should clean up the carbs they might of got guncked up from the bad gas and who know's when they were last cleaned and and reset. I would try cleanningthem and see if that helps.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:44 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

A clean ride you have. Congrats.
+1 on cleaning the carbs.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the bike, And welcome to KF

Old 05-22-2007, 04:13 AM

Cleaning the carbs is a good thing for a bike this old.