Bike starts dying at low RPM once it's hot

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bike starts dying at low RPM once it's hot

Hello! I've had a problem with my 2009 KLX250S for a couple of years now but its getting to the point i cannot ride it more than 10 or 15 minutes before it starts to die. When it was newer it would only die after it was very hot outside or when it was really hot from alot of riding. Now it dies only after 10 or 15 minutes of riding even when it's 60 or 70 degrees out. It starts fine, runs great til the engine is at normal operating temp or higher. Then it dies or stalls at low to mid RPM. Once i let the bike cool for 5 or 10 minutes it starts fine then repeats the process. The carburator is has been rejetted and added a Kouba screw. Pretty much nothing i do changes this. It just gets worse. Could it be that little finned ignition module wearing out? I'm outta ideas, please help! Thanks

Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

If it's a car it could be the ignition coil. I don't know if our bike has one.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

there is a little black-finned module that's bolted on the frame above the footpeg. It's got fins obviously to help it cool off. I'm just assuming that may be what you are talking about and wonder if it may be the issue. I had an 89 mustang with the exact same problem. Once it got really hot it would die at low RPMs. Once it got air moving on it and cooled down it would run just fine. Just a guess.. haha!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

probably a good place to start.... eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices ...last one sold on ebay for $20....but, usually the problem is caused by wrong or messed up spark plug, so might want to replace that too....

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
If it's a car it could be the ignition coil. I don't know if our bike has one.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Not the plug. It's been replaced numerous times and it has no effect whatsoever.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

A guy did tell me last year when I was riding in the mountains near 4 Peaks in Arizona that these newer bikes actually use fuel to cool the spark plugs themselves and that if you can get more fuel in the cylinder that it will cool the plug and keep it from fouling. As long as I'm running in road gear it runs fine hot but when i slow down or stop it will die. I've adjusted out my fuel screw further and it doesn't seem to help. Maybe the air flow at high speed cools that module enuff? Still just guessing here..

Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
probably a good place to start.... eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices ...last one sold on ebay for $20....but, usually the problem is caused by wrong or messed up spark plug, so might want to replace that too....
for 20 bucks it would be worth a shot to see if it corrects it. Even if it didn't i'd have a spare ignition coil.. thanks! i'll see if i can find one..

Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

once the ignition coil goes bad...it is usually sensitive to heat...will malfunction when it gets hot....

2nd guess is that you need a new thermostat....from what you described with the engine shutting off at low rpm....

Originally Posted by meekie69
Not the plug. It's been replaced numerous times and it has no effect whatsoever.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
once the ignition coil goes bad...it is usually sensitive to heat...will malfunction when it gets hot....

2nd guess is that you need a new thermostat....from what you described with the engine shutting off at low rpm....
the little drain hole on the engine has been seeping some antifreeze as of late.. would that be a sign of a faulty thermostat?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by meekie69
the little drain hole on the engine has been seeping some antifreeze as of late.. would that be a sign of a faulty thermostat?
Mine does it too.

Quick Reply: Bike starts dying at low RPM once it's hot