General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

KE100 even practicable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Default KE100 even practicable?

So I'm looking at purchasing my first bike. Mainly because I feel its something that's good to know how to ride and it'll sure beats driving my car everywhere .

I've been mainly looking at older used Viragos, Shadows and etc. My budget is $1000>, and I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty.

Then I came across a 1999 KE100 with 1400k miles for $800 in my area. It's in pretty good shape from what I see. I've always liked the idea of a Enduro, being an outdoorsman. I like the idea of being able to use it to explore some of these fire roads in the Blue Ridge mountains

However I'm getting mixed comments on the KE. Although apparently being bullet proof and stupidly simple, i've read the suspension is crap and its (obviously) under powered. Some people hate it and some people love it; and I can't come to a conclusion. My normal daily commutes are about 10mi, If I am on the highway its less than 1-2 miles before I exit. I'd like to think I'm going to use my motorcycle for cross-country trips, but the reality of it is I probably will never go further than 20miles with a bike.

Is it practical to have a 100cc two stroke on the road anymore?

Last edited by Woogies; 06-12-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

That is a tough call. 100cc's can be difficult for anyone and everything. I have not ridden one, but I would probably save up for a good klx.

Welcome to KF

Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

It's a freaking two stroke. You'll stink when you get to work.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a KE100 when I was a kid. It was a fun bike, being a two-stroke, and I enjoyed riding it more than the four-stroke Honda I had at the time. I think the KE100 would be fun, but more as a playbike. I can't see commuting on it, and I can't see ever getting it on a main highway, but if you're comfortable with it, go for it. I'm into vintage bikes too. I just picked up a Honda CT110 trail bike. But it's just a toy, as I also have a KLX250S with the 351 big bore kit, and a Husqvarna SM610. The KLX would be great for the type of riding you describe, or any bike in that size range.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome, Woogs. Nothing against the KE100 or against 2-strokers. However, after reading your post, I would encourage a gently-used KLX. Seriously; you WOULD find the 100 to be a "moped with larger tires." Don't do it, particularly if you have any aspirations of trail riding or keeping your pride intact with co-workers. Go with a KLX.
...and, be careful on the older bikes which had identity issues in the 80's. Getting replacement parts (and you would need them) is the problem---there's a reason why those bikes are cheap.
Agree with the guys^, go with a KLX.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums! I've been looking at the KE 100 bikes for a couple of years for a friend of mine's wife. Before you decide on any bike,, think about what you are using it for and how far and how fast you need to go, factor that in with your height and weight and then you will start eliminating some bikes right away. If you lived in a small town and had only 2 miles to get to the store or work, and wanted to check out the local trails and you were as small as a horse jockey then the KE 100 might work. But if there are guys that have been disapointed in the power of the KLX, then the 100 might not be the best choice.

However the Two stroke while yes it smells and you wouldn't want to ride it to church in you best suit, it could scoot you down the road when the power band kicks in. That being said, I don't think any two stroke was meant to run at a constant rpm such as would be needed to travel down the highway. But then again if you wanted a bike that could get you legally to the store and work and trails then as long as you don't weigh 3 bills, it could be a great first bike, just prepare to not be too impressed, but try and be realistic about your expectations and then make your choice. The Yamaha XT 225 (older model) could also be a good choice if you are a shorter rider.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hahahahaha looks like I was playing Devil's Advocate on that post. lol Sheesh,,,make up your mind deej!

Old 06-20-2012, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Hahahahaha looks like I was playing Devil's Advocate on that post. lol Sheesh,,,make up your mind deej!
Ya it did. And some two strokes are made for droning away down the highway. My first street bike, Suz GT380 triple, was a two stroke and did just fine unless things got real hot and it started to lose power.

I'd stay away from the KE for the same reasons posted above (power, parts, etc) unless you just want a small bike to start on and don't mind the likelihood of breakdown with very pricey or impossible to find replacement parts. Does it really have 1400k (1,400,000) miles??? <chuckle> Find something newer and a little larger. The KLX250 is one good option.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 06-20-2012 at 03:28 PM.