General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Very confused - Won't start! - KE100

Old 04-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Default Very confused - Won't start! - KE100

Hey,

I have a 93 KE100 that won't run. I just cleaned the carb and tank, the bike has spark and there is compression. The bike will not even start on starter fluid. I am very baffled by this one. Is there any thing that I have missed in this one? Could the timing change on this bike? I thought it ran directly off the crank, could this be adjustable and have moved to the bottom of the stroke? I havn't checked that yet... I will try ANY ideas!!

thanks

Andrew

Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Very confused - Won't start! - KE100

What did your new plug read?

Old 04-08-2007, 01:13 PM

The plug is NGK - B9E S

I dried off the plug and reinstalled it with a quick squirt of starter fluid in the cylinder but that didn't seem to fire either. Which leads me to think about timing... I usually can trouble shoot stuff like this but I definately need to lean on everybody's help.

thanks!

Old 04-08-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow I'm stumped on this one.... spark, compression, and fuel well starting fluid.. lol it should stumble if anything. That would leave me to believe a timming issue, but i dont know much about that bike so I cant really piont ya in any direction. I hope you get this figured out man... good luck.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you test the spark with the plug wire attached to the plug, and the plug out of the engine, against the engine so it can ground out? You need to see if you're getting spark all the way down to the plug electrode when the engine is turning over.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:00 AM

Yeah, I pulled the plug and found a strong blue spark using the plug against the fins on the Head.

It really is confusing. I always check for spark(timing), fuel, air and compression the workings for burn...

I haven't seen anywhere talk about adjusting the timing but is it possible for it to 'fall/slip' out of timing... I thought it was fixed to the crank. Anyone know if it is adjustable?

thanks!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:55 AM
1st Gear Member

The KE100 is a four stroke, right?

Sorry, but I know absolutely nothing about the configuration of that engine.

I would figure you would at least get a pop or sputter when turning over the engine. Especially if you're using starting fluid and have good spark.[>:]

Old 05-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Default Round 2?

So I know this thread is 7 years old but I just found it in a Google search and I am having the exact same problem so I'm rekindling this fire!

I have the 93 KE100 2-stroke that won't start. Best I get is a little backfire(air blast, no flame) from the carb and occasionally out of the exhaust. The plug is wet so I know I am getting fuel, I have 110lbs of compression, good spark (NGK B8ES plug gapped to .30), just drained fuel and put in 91 octane ethanol free gas, oiler seems to be working (black fluid on plug). Not sure what else you might need to know but I am stumped. I just bought the bike not running so I don't know all the symptoms that caused it to stop running but I was told the previous owner replaced the carb and didn't know how to tune it. Am I right is saying that all there is to tuning it is the air/fuel mixture screw? I have done the same thing with spraying starter fluid in the cylinder and got nothing. I pulled the carb all apart and cleaned it but it looks basically new. I think it is something beyond the carb.

Let me know if you have any ideas of what to try.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2014, 02:40 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

There are some really good electrical tests listed in your factory manual. My only KE stuff was 76ish but the basics of no spark is evident.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

What's your premix ratio? If it's an "auto oil" model, bypass that thing and use premix, particularly if you're getting "black fluid" on your plug. Might have too much oil in the gas for proper ignition. Back off the choke, too....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Very confused - Won't start! - KE100