General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!
View Poll Results: A poll
38.76%
23.03%
14.04%
Doesn't matter what you start on
24.16%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Beginner Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 08:04 AM
Default RE: Beginner Bikes

Yeah, like everything in life, I'd say "it depends"... When I was looking to get into riding last year I wasn't sure what to do. I had zero motorized 2-wheel experience... Plenty of mountain biking, and drove a stick all my life, so I felt comfortable that it was something I could handle. Asked a lot of friends about it. Surprised to find out that more people rode than I knew... All of them had their own bit of advice, but the common theme was:

1) Take the MSF course before you buy a bike, even better if you take it before you decide what you want.

2) Buy used if at all possible. So you don't cry "when" you drop it, and because older bikes are typically a bit more tame than newer bikes.

3) If it's your first bike, you WILL NOT be able to use all that a liter bike has to offer, hell, most experienced riders can't even use all that a modern 600 has to offer. Every single one of them said that even if they've moved up to a liter bike, they have an absolute blast riding something smaller, because they can really tear it up. Something about it being fun feeling more in control when riding a smaller bike for all it's worth than being afraid to waken a beast that might kill you as you try to learn.

and finally, the most important:

4) Don't be stupid. I repeat. Don't be stupid, remember that you're always learning. If you do that, you'll have more fun and become a better rider.

So I looked at a lot of bikes, used, new, 250, 500, and the 600... Even tried the bigger bikes on for size, but couldn't justify it to myself. I have to admit I looked damn silly on the 250, but if I could've found a used one I probably would've bought it. I intended on buying the 500, but at 6'2", it felt damned cramped... and wouldn't have been very comfortable. I'm a firm believer that comfort = enjoyment. The 600 fit well, so I bought it. Don't have any regrets. I know it's got more than I can use right now.. but I also know how to not be stupid.

So I guess I'm saying, it doesn't matter, within reason. And it depends on what your circumstances are...

Also, the 600-4 cylinder vs. the 650-2 cylinder is a question. Most experienced riders pointed me towards the 650's, as although it's got a larger displacement, there's usually less horsepower, but more usable torque, which could be good for a beginner.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Wow! - a lot of good points made! Exactly what I was hoping for. Maybe this will help some folks out when trying to decide what to get.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

my first bike was a 78 honda 550 all metal what a tank that was LOL

Old 05-11-2006, 09:24 AM
1st Gear Member

636 is my first bike. I friggin love it. It'll go as fast as I want it to. Did the exact process written up above. It was a little intimidating at first - but in a really cool adicting way. Now I can't really imagine having chosen a better bike. I'm also currently babysitting a 250 in the garage, that I occasionally sneak out on. It is a good learning bike and it's fun to take out and just cruise on it, but I think if I had started with that, I would've wanted something with more power and torque pretty soon. But for a smaller rider (or the smaller budget), it's got 2 wheels, it's pretty small and light, and it's fun. Of course if your friends have 600s or 1000s, they'll usually wait for you at the other end......

Old 05-12-2006, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm glad that I went w/ the 250. I didnt want to go w/ the 250 in fear I am going to outgrow it by the end of summer. Maybe I will but I know right now that the bike feels comfortable for me. I dont think I would have felt the same on a bigger bike.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I started with a 65 honda dream and put knobbies on it. Talk about a workout. Graduated to a harley and a zx750 in the 80's. Would have to say that a first bike is never an easy choice. Just use your head and keep it under control.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I started on an '89 Ninja 600. But I always recomend less to rookies.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

My first bike was a KZ750. It wasn't too hard to ride because the carbs were all messed up, and it was running on two cylinders when I got it The top speed was about 15MPH. (that is until I rebuilt the carbs!) The only thing I had a hard time with when learing to ride was turning. After about 5 minutes though, I was a PRO!!!

For me, even after getting back the full power of the 750 through my carb rebuild, I felt the bike was easy to handle. sure if you're a newbee, and go WFO on the throttle before learning how a motorcycle feels and rides, you're probably gonna be another statistic.

"SIZE DOESN'T MATTER" (at least not with you bike you can learn on any size as long as you're not a dumbass!

Old 07-04-2006, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I started on my 636. I still scare my self on that thing every once and a while. I test the limits of my riding once and a while. I's always kinda of fun to just open it up and see what the 636 can do.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:21 AM

i started on a katana 750 and no jokes please im embarassed enough LOL

Quick Reply: Beginner Bikes