General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

250 too small?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Default 250 too small?

Ok so I just told one of my friends who has been riding for a few years that I was planning on getting a bike within the next few weeks. When I told him I was looking at the Ninja 250 he said it would be way too small and to get a 500. I am 6 foot tall and about 200lbs. Am I going to be hunched over a 250 and just wind up getting rid of it? I was thinking about going for a 500 anyway just for the performance.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:03 AM
Default RE: 250 too small?

i just picked up a 500r im 6'1 225 and it fits me nicly

Old 03-27-2006, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

depends on how much money you want to spend and what you want it for. if you just want gas milage and a bike, a 250 is fine. if you want more performance then a 500 would be better. If your saying to yourself i don't care about performance, think long and hard about it. Honestly I would get the 650ninja. B/c the first time your on your 500 and a bigger sport bike passes you, you'll want one. But it all depends on the money

Old 03-27-2006, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: walight01

depends on how much money you want to spend and what you want it for. if you just want gas milage and a bike, a 250 is fine. if you want more performance then a 500 would be better. If your saying to yourself i don't care about performance, think long and hard about it. Honestly I would get the 650ninja. B/c the first time your on your 500 and a bigger sport bike passes you, you'll want one. But it all depends on the money
I have to politely disagree this point. If you're a noob rider a 250 is VERY forgiving of incorrect steering inputs and goosing the throttle. True the front does dive a bit when you let go of the throttle all the way (but why for pete's sake would you do that?) but can easily be fixed by putting in new suspension. The 250 starts into the powerband at around 8000 RPM and flows very smoothly from there. True it doesn't have the power of a liter bike but it will definitely keep up with traffic and handles excellently in the twisties (from my limited experience of small twists in my area). The ninjette is VERY maneuverable/flickable and light. The resale is also very good as there are always people looking to start riding and want to buy a 250. If you need more info on this littlest beast pm me and I can send you to my other 250 forums. And there are people there that are 6+ with no problems on the 250. Whatever you choose to get better save up for gear and if you haven't taken the MSF plan to do so, it is definitely well worth the money spent.

Good luck and post pics of what you get. And welcome to the forums.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:21 AM

How much would gear run me? Also about how much I am looking to spend. I have money saved and can afford a 500 or 600.I can spend about $3500-$4000 cash if something catches my intrest. I am more worried about resale than anything. I am only going to be in California for just over 6 months. I want something that I can sell quickly when I am finishing up with school. Obviously it is easier for someone to sell something for $2000 than $4000 but I figured the demand for motorcycles around the bay area is strong enough either way. Do sales of motorcycles drop drastically over the colder months or do they stay similiar?

Old 03-27-2006, 06:19 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

spring time is when people start buying bikes, then they can ride into the summer season too. in your case, the 250 would not be a bad idea or investment. granted a 500 will be better, your situation can surpass with a 250. for some reason finding a 250 is hard so you know they sell quick around the ca area. hell i want a 250 too

Old 03-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

if your intension is to just use the bike while your here and seel it once you leave, then hell go with the 250.... who gives a **** if your gonna grow out of it... your not gonna have it for that long.....

Old 03-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Mr. Toad

ORIGINAL: walight01

I have to politely disagree this point. If you're a noob rider a 250 is VERY forgiving of incorrect steering inputs and goosing the throttle. True the front does dive a bit when you let go of the throttle all the way (but why for pete's sake would you do that?) but can easily be fixed by putting in new suspension. The 250 starts into the powerband at around 8000 RPM and flows very smoothly from there. True it doesn't have the power of a liter bike but it will definitely keep up with traffic and handles excellently in the twisties (from my limited experience of small twists in my area). The ninjette is VERY maneuverable/flickable and light. The resale is also very good as there are always people looking to start riding and want to buy a 250. If you need more info on this littlest beast pm me and I can send you to my other 250 forums. And there are people there that are 6+ with no problems on the 250. Whatever you choose to get better save up for gear and if you haven't taken the MSF plan to do so, it is definitely well worth the money spent.

Good luck and post pics of what you get. And welcome to the forums.
Not that anyone needs too, but I agree with toad. Nice write bro.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Fremont 250, regarding gear...

My Joe Rocket Phoenix (textile) cost about $150 or so, same for Scorpion EXO helmet $150 (the key here is that it fits you well, don't want to be uncomfortable wearing the thing over long periods of time believe me) and I have the Phoenix gloves that cost about $50 and Joe Rocket Ballistic Nylon overpants (can be worn over jeans/shorts or as pants, has removable liner) and it cost around $150 and the boots are Alpinestars Stroke boots that run me around $100 I guess. So add it all up and I got my gear for about $600 total. I know it's not as good as leather but it's definitely better than jeans and t-shirt. Never scrooge your gear, it's the only thing between you and the asphalt beneath your bike going at 60 MPH.

Notstock, thanks bro

Old 03-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

If you want a 250, get a 250. The only way to decide how you fit on one - is to go and sit on one. Don't worry about what other people say!

[sm=rant.gif] Every time I turn around I hear people saying 'don't buy a 250 or a 500, you'll get bored of it.....blah, blah, blah, blah!!!! How do they know you'll get bored of it? I bought a 500 and have only driven it for one season, I love this bike. I'm not bored of it - in fact I think I have a lot to learn on it. And I'll stop this rant now before I get carried away......[sm=rant.gif]

My best advise - just get the bike that you want and feel comfortable with. It doesn't matter what you're sitting on - all that matters is that you're out there on two wheels! Good luck!

Quick Reply: 250 too small?