DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your bike as told by your fellow members.

polishing wheel lips

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Default polishing wheel lips

very simple. i dont know your year model so you may have to tape off center section. i did not on mine because the centers are powder coated factory but if you get the stripper on them and leave it there it will take the paint off, so you might want to tape them up. supplies you need are

1 .aircraft stripper (local parts store)
2 1" paint brush
3 rubber gloves (to keep stripper off skin)
4 steel wool (fine and extra fine)
5 mother polish
6 clean rags
7 soap and water
8 time and labor 70 degree weather

the temp will make the job a lot easier. first clean the wheels and make sure they are dry. take the brush and apply the stripper to the part of the rims that you want to strip. do this in a well ventilated area. the paint will start to bubble and peel after a few min depending on the temp. i recomend one wheel one side at a time. after the paint loks like it all bubbled up take the fine steel wool to finish getting the paint off. wash the wheel agian after the paint is off. then go back with the super fine wool to get rid of any small scuffs. then polish them out with mothers. this took me about 5 hours to due,but i was working in 50 degree weather. i friend did his in 2-3 but he had warm temps (70+ degree). any more questions just pm me.

p.s hope this helps everyone

Old 04-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Default RE: polishing wheel lips

*****please read notes at bottom, I also added notes from my job in with thiers******

Items Needed:
1. Safety glasses
2. Latex gloves
3. Old coffee can or glass jar (to hold the paint stripper)
4. Paintbrush (1 inch / 1 1/2 inch)
5. Nylon brush
6. Masking tape (2 inches)
7. Shop rags
8. Steel wool #000 (fine) or #0000 (super fine)
9. Paint stripper (methylene chloride)
10. Lacquer thiner
11. Clean terry cloths (for polishing)
11. Mag & Aluminium polish

Items I used

All the supplies I bought cost about $30 (total) . First make sure your rims are super clean - do not use a polish or else the masking tape will not stick right. Note that I did not take off my rims or the tires - I did this with the tires and rims on the bike.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 - Clean and tape up the rim.

Pick the area you'll want to remove the paint and have polished - I find its best to use one of the edges on the rim - this way you'll get a clean straight line. You will want to tape up any places that you don't want to remove paint. DONT RUSH - this is the HARDEST PART - take your time and tape the whole way around - Work on one side at a time. KG NOTES I DID NOT TAKE MINE OFF EITHER OR TAPE THEM UP BUT I HAVE A 05. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE PLEASE SPEND THE TIME AND TAPE!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2 - Brush it on.

Take the paint stripper and pour some into the container that you set aside for it. Then, using the paint brush, begin brushing it on. (if you have any weights you should take them off - MARK WHERE THEY WERE you need to put them back on when you're done) Cover the entire area you want paint to be removed from - Use a good amount - the more you use the easier it comes off but don't over do it - the stripper I used was pretty thick. Once applied you will need to wait - I got the best stripper they had and it started to peel in 15 minutes (above picture)

CAUTION: wear your safety goggles and gloves until you finish the entire process.

TIP: While you are waiting for the paint stripper to work go to the other wheel and begin to tape that one up - (remember work on one side at a time) - by the time you are done with the taping the stripper will (should) have set in and is ready to be worked on. (do not apply stripper to that wheel yet - work on the one that already has the stripper on it.)KG NOTES I USED AIRCRAFT STRIPPER BOUGHT FOR LOCAL PARTS STORE IN LIQUID FORM DO NOT USE SPRAY CAN

Step 3 - Remove the paint stripper and loose paint.

First, take the nylon brush and remove all the loose and flaking paint. Be very gental around the tape - you do not want it to come loose.
Second, take a clean rag and wipe off remaining pait stripper and loose paint. Make sure ALL stripper is gone! Third, apply laquer thinner to a new clean rag and wipe residue off the rims left by the paint stripper. KG NOTES DID NOT USE LAQUER THINNER JUST SOAP AND WATER TO CLEAN AFTER THIS STEP,ALSO REMOVED LOOSE PAINT WITH STEEL WOOL NO NYLON BRUSH

Step 4 - Clean up the rims

First, take the Fine (#000) steel wool and buff the rim to remove any left over paint and any defects on the rim. Use the thinner to aid you. Second, take the super fine (#0000) steel wool to smooth out any marks left by the previous steel wool buffing. This is where you will need to put in some elbow grease - this is where you are going to define that fine line and get the cool looking rim.

Dont worry its pretty easy - At first when you remove the paint it may look like its all messed up and you're not going to be able to get that fine line between the painted part and the polished part. Don't freak out like I did - ELBOW GREASE, steel wool and a little thinner will fix it right up. This is why it is important to be careful with the masking tape. The TAPE should be be on - Do not pull off the tape until you removed all the paint and have your fine line between the painted part and polished part

NOTE: I only used the fine (#000) steel wool pads, I didn't see any need for the super fine pads. KG NOTES I DID USE SUPER FINE BEFORE POLISHING

Step 5 - Polish by hand.

Remove the tape - clean and then buff the rim by hand using a good polish. Be sure to use a clean rag. If you see anything that needs to be touched up do so and re-polish.
Here's the finsihed rims

Now you have a nice set of polished rims. You have the option of now clear coating the rims, which may take away some of the luster or shine. If you don't clearcoat them, you just have to
Spend a bit more time wiping them down. It's a good idea to buff them up about every one or two months using a GOOD polish.KG NOTES NO CLEAR COAT HERE JUST POLISH ABOUT ONCE A MONTH. I USE MOTHERS POLISH,BUT WENOL IS ALSO REAL GOOD

*******************this is a post from another site on polishing rims maybe a little more detail than mine but same process with same results hopes this helps with any more questions. if not just pm me*************************

Old 08-28-2007, 04:39 AM

would you happen to know how to paint your own lip another color after you have stripped the paint? i would like a bronze lip on mine to go with my flat black but i am too cheap to take it out to the shops. thanks.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Just mask it, clean the surface to be painted and spray it. The stock wheels are painted not powdercoated.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

whats the best way to get the chain lube off my polished wheel??

Old 08-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hoedogg

whats the best way to get the chain lube off my polished wheel??
Wrong area hoedogg, try General Tech.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:00 PM

Could Iuse the spray can if I was going to polish the whole wheel? Which do you think would give a better outcome, slappin it on with a brush or layin it down like a coat of paint? Also if I do the whole wheel, I will obviously have to take the wheels off the bike. Do you think I should take the tires of the wheels? Last, should I tape the inside of the rim where the bead lock occurs?

*If it helps I ride a 00 zx6r!

Old 05-31-2008, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Did this mod and love it!
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../5-7-08006.jpg

Old 06-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1
Name:  joesbike006.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  52.4 KB

Old 06-28-2008, 12:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I did this on my 08 250r, but the surface of the aluminum had alot of machined grooves in it, so I wet sanded with 400 grit paper, then 1000 grit. then I went over it with 0000 steel wool and finished it off with mother polish.

This pic was taken before I sanded and re-polished