DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your bike as told by your fellow members.

Clutch basket has some groves in it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Clutch basket has some groves in it.

Clutch basket has some groves in it.

I have a 98 YZ125. Had to replace the kick gear and noticed my basket has groves. I know I should replace but I don’t want to spend the money. Clutch plates look fine.

Anyone had any luck

Old 08-10-2010, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

That's where the plates have hammered against the basket if you didn't already know that. What may help you is to know you may be able to prolong the life of the basket by filing the grooves out smoothly carefully and leaving a good smooth surface. In other words don't just use some wood rasp on it, get a few good metal files with the one being a fine tooth to leave a good surface.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
That's where the plates have hammered against the basket if you didn't already know that. What may help you is to know you may be able to prolong the life of the basket by filing the grooves out smoothly carefully and leaving a good smooth surface. In other words don't just use some wood rasp on it, get a few good metal files with the one being a fine tooth to leave a good surface.
Thanks klx678.

I have groves but not on all the fingers. Question, so taking off a mm will not greatly effect its performance. I know I should replace and most likly I will. But if I can get by for the next couple of rides by filing, I will try.

If you file some but not all will it still work?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I think I understand what you're talking about here. The plates have hit the basket hard and long enough to create some grooving in the contact face of the basket by the edges of the tangs on the drive plates (those ears or fingers that stick out, driven plates are the ones that have the tangs on the inside, driving the inner portion of the clutch pack). If that is the case you won't affect much of anything with the filing. It's only a few thousandths of metal. The dings won't be uniform in depth. The reason for trying to keep the surface relatively smooth is to keep from getting a grabby clutch that has engagement problems when the drive plates hang up in the grooves.

If you're talking about slippage, that could be another story. Am I understanding right?

Last edited by klx678; 08-11-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:41 PM

Actually filling the basket isn't a good idea. If you do so you are creating more room for your plates to move eventually causing more damage to the plates and the basket.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by graveyard
Actually filling the basket isn't a good idea. If you do so you are creating more room for your plates to move eventually causing more damage to the plates and the basket.
Actually shortly after this post I did grind with a file the groves on the fingers that had issues.

A year of riding and still no issue. I don't ride this bike any more as it is my backup now.

For anyone out there with low funds, try this short fix or band aid. It works!!