'78 Z750 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Default '78 Z750 rebuild

Hi, all,

New to the forum here but looking for some help from someone with experience with the 750 twin bikes. I'm rebuilding the engine (and all the rest of) a '78 Z750B3.

I'm to the point that I'm ready to put the case halves back together (am doing dry runs on assembling them to get the timing marks all lined up) but the balancer chain tensioner is really tight when I lay the cases together and when I turn the crankshaft to check that the marks are aligned, it gives me resistance. Now, before I split the cases I don't remember the crank being that hard to turn from balancer tension.

Just looking for some clue to what is correct when putting the cases back together. I get the timing and everything right, and I'm able to put a few of the case bolts in to hold it together temporarily, so all is lining up there. But I don't want to start re-assembling the engine and get to the camshafts, then realize the engine won't turn at all because something has too much resistance.

I appreciate any help. This is my first rebuild so I'm sort of in uncharted territory. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

I have not played with a Z750. But congrats on the uncharted territory attempt.

Question: Normally, I would assemble the cases and then the cams, cam chain, guides and adjuster. Is the twin that different as to try and degree the cams prior to assembly? I would think that the CCT would cause you the unnecessary tension and valve train damage if still in place on assembly.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Welcome to KF

I have not played with a Z750. But congrats on the uncharted territory attempt.

Question: Normally, I would assemble the cases and then the cams, cam chain, guides and adjuster. Is the twin that different as to try and degree the cams prior to assembly? I would think that the CCT would cause you the unnecessary tension and valve train damage if still in place on assembly.
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I see where I didn't explain this as well as I could have. The timing marks I'm lining up at the moment are the ones on the crankshaft, the lower engine case and the chain-driven counterbalancer weights, not the camshafts. It will be a while before I get to the cams.