Drifter Problem ... Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Default Drifter Problem ... Please help!

So I just bought a 2005 Drifter 800 from a guy out in CA. He owned the thing for 3 years, and put 250 miles on it the whole time. He shipped it to me here in PA this month.

When the thing arrived, it took me forever to start it ... and when it finally did, it would die in gear and then I couldn't get it started again until after letting it sit for hours. Eventually it wouldn't start at all.

I had it towed to a shop yesterday (the tow guy dropped the thing on his trailer, at one point, but luckily didn't damage it because of the freeway bars and floorboards), where the shop just charged the battery and said, "It's fine; come and get it."

Last evening I come and get the thing, and it starts, but with difficulty. I ride the bike 1/8 of a mile, getting it up to about 45 mph, and the thing suddenly loses power and dies. Once again, I can't get it started, and wind up pushing it back to the shop.

My guess was that, because the bike had so few miles on it, the battery was dead and the gas was broken down. Does anyone have any other ideas? I've told the shop 3 times now about the fact that fluids have been sitting in that bike for three years, but it doesn't seem to be getting through.

Thanks very much! I'm a newbie, and I'm sorry to be pestering you guys with a problem right out of the blocks.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Default RE: Drifter Problem ... Please help!

I'm not a mechanic but you are probably right. Mine sat for two years,untouched. before I started it again I drained the gas, New battery, But most important I removed the reed valve( as per the Russian Wolf website).I also changed to K&N filter,rejeted to a 170 main-52 pilot, and went 2 turns out on the air screw. And installed a Hard Chrome exhaust.
It started like it was brand new, and without any need to choke it ever again. Also no more backfires or poping noises.
MANY MANY THANKS TO RUSSIAN WOLF !!!!!. from Dennis.