Bikes knocking under load

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Default Bikes knocking under load

I am trying to do a little trouble shooting here. The bike runs good until I put it under load up hill. The problem just started recently. Someone suggested it could be the valves. I however seem to think it is the timing. How does one go about adjusting the timing on a 1999 8oo drifter. Thanks in advance to all those who would help.

Hulk

Old 10-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Default RE: Bikes knocking under load

I have a few suggestions for you... First of all use 90+ octane fuel... you will get more power and better mileage at higher speeds... My 2005 800 Drifter has never seen 78 Octane in 4,200 miles. The second is to use Amzoil Synthetic Motorcycle Oil in your bike... it will make it run and shift better by creating less friction on the moving parts. The third suggestion and a real must for your 800 Drifter is to have your valves adjusted regularly, especially if you have missed a few shifts and over reved the engine. When you get tired of spending $200+ for a valve adjustment, buy the shop manual and new addendum for about $60 and learn how to do it yourself. After a little practice you should be able to do it in an hour or so. The valves have to be shimmed so you will need a supply of shims as well. When your 800 Drifter engine starts feeling and sounding loose and noisy and runs rough, you will know it's time to adjust the valves. The chain should be adjusted or at least checked for tightness every 500 miles and lubed with a waxed base chain lubricant, that does away with a lot of the oil slinging on your back wheel. When your bike starts to shake and vibrate like a dog crapping bones at 60-75 mph it's time to inspect your chain for tightness.

ORIGINAL: whitehulk

I am trying to do a little trouble shooting here. The bike runs good until I put it under load up hill. The problem just started recently. Someone suggested it could be the valves. I however seem to think it is the timing. How does one go about adjusting the timing on a 1999 8oo drifter. Thanks in advance to all those who would help.

Hulk
Haul out your manual and do the primary check list every 2,000 miles. It really isn't too difficult to keep them running and sounding like new again.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:48 AM
Default RE: Bikes knocking under load

Try down shifting going up hills
Fattkaw